Blue Progress Bar

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Has anyone figured out how to get the Blue Progress Bar for the newly released Safari 4.0 (not Beta)? Once again Apple took it away.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I'd love that too. I never understood why they got rid of it.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    So how do you know your progress of the page loading?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I tried that old terminal command from last month, but it doesn't work on this version of 4. Damn.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I tried that old terminal command from last month, but it doesn't work on this version of 4. Damn.

I miss it too. What I noticed the first second I first used Safari, being on a small 12" PBG4, was its efficient vertical use of space. Many other browsers at the time had a stupid blank status bar wasting a few pixels of space at the bottom of the window. Also, things like the Reload button turning into a Stop button when loading, and doubling as two buttons in one, I immediately loved. I guess both of these are gone now! Hope they add them back, not deal-breakers, but those are the kinds of nice polished touches that make Mac stuff the shiznit.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mumbo jumbomumbo jumbo Posts: 1,633member
    It's a pity. We've got a kinda shonky router chez nous that keeps on crashing. NOw there's no way to tell if its crashed or if the site's just slow to load.

I like the rest of the browser's appearance, i don't mind losing the tabs at the top. But that's irritating.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    I sort of miss it as well. On the other hand, I do enable the Show Status Bar from the View menu. It puts a small gray bar at the bottom of the browser and will keep you up to date with the loading of a page. I also hide and have moved the dock over to the right of the screen.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I wonder if user rebellion will succeed in getting apple to bring back the progress bar... You know, like how they were forced to fix the stacks implementation in the dock and bring back the actually useful list-view.

The previous implementation in Safari provided valuable visual feedback in a non-obtrusive and easy to understand form. All that has been thrown away and I'm willing to come out and say that it is an obvious interface blunder. Certainly not a huge one. But still a step backward.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

I sort of miss it as well. On the other hand, I do enable the Show Status Bar from the View menu. It puts a small gray bar at the bottom of the browser and will keep you up to date with the loading of a page.

Lame solution. I on the other hand have given up on this battle. Pages load so fast we no longer need to gripe too much. Sure is strange why they removed one of Safaris best features though.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I would really like it back. Safari may be blazing fast but slow or huge sites will still load slowly.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    irchsirchs Posts: 86member
    Building it into the current small loading icon at the right of the address bar would do, or into the status bar at the bottom
  • Reply 11 of 11
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Is there a reason for the progress bar not to be displayed in the address bar? (honest question)

There may be reasoning behind the removal but I've yet to come up with a theory as to why.