Express Card slot vs. SD card slot

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The new 17" MacBook Pro does not have a SD slot like the new 15.4" MacBook Pro does. Instead, the 17" has an ExpressCard/34 extension card slot.

Could someone please tell me if I could use a SD card in the ExpressCard/34 slot? If so, would I need a special SD card adapter to use this slot for a SD card? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dakesey View Post

The new 17" MacBook Pro does not have a SD slot like the new 15.4" MacBook Pro does. Instead, the 17" has an ExpressCard/34 extension card slot.

Could someone please tell me if I could use a SD card in the ExpressCard/34 slot? If so, would I need a special SD card adapter to use this slot for a SD card? Thanks.

You an ExpressCard Card Reader.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dakeseydakesey Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

You an ExpressCard Card Reader.

Your response doesn't make any sense.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    No, you cannot. Yes, you need a special adapter. It's most likely that the SD adapter would be USB though and not Express Card
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

No, you cannot. Yes, you need a special adapter. It's most likely that the SD adapter would be USB though and not Express Card

What special adapter do most people use for their SD card, and what is the approximate cost?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Look in the same aisle at BestBuy (or wherever) that you buy the SD cards... a USB card reader shouldn't cost more than $9.95 USD

You can also get a reader that uses the Express Card slot, but that is likely gonna be at least 3x the price, and USB is more "universal".
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Look in the same aisle at BestBuy (or wherever) that you buy the SD cards... a USB card reader shouldn't cost more than $9.95 USD

You can also get a reader that uses the Express Card slot, but that is likely gonna be at least 3x the price, and USB is more "universal".

Thanks. That's helpful. So, if I understand you correctly, I would put my SD card inside the purchased USB card reader. Then, I would put the USB card reader in one of the USB ports, instead of in the Express Card slot?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    yes, that is correct
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ozfiveozfive Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dakesey View Post

Why buy a USB SD Card reader? Your ExpressCard slot is extremely useful and there are 3 SD adapters that I know of that will fit that need for you.

One made by SanDisk themselves...

SanDisk ExpressCard Reader/Writer

Kensington....

Kensington 7 in 1 ExpressCard Reader/Writer

(this one reads 7 different media card types)

and then there is this one...

21 in 1 ExpressCard Reader/Writer

(21 different media card types! I did not even know there were that many different types!)

These are great for your MBP, they require no drivers (just as the USB ones do not) but they do not need cables, they fit flush with the MBP, and can be left inside the ExpressCard slot and not removed everytime you want to go portable.

There are many many different things a ExpressCard slot can use, do not take up a precious USB port wiht a SD card reader!