Is Buying an iPhone now for new users a good idea?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
That is just the question: is buying the new iPhone if you don't own one a good idea. I know that seems like a dumb question but for my situation I'm not too sure. I want your guys take on this. You steered me perfectly on buying the iMac so I'm turning to your guy's wisdom again.

-) I don't really own a cellphone. I have one but only use it for emergencies.

-) I don't have a huge community of friends who are techies and so a community of people to keep up with isn't there.

-) I live in what I like to call "the black hole of technology." I have high speed but only EDGE stretches to where I live and there are only pockets of 3G and no Wifi.

-) I already own a second generation iPod Touch.

Now I'd like to start keeping in touch with people more, and being me I know the iPhone is the cellphone I want to use. But, with how AT&T locks you in, and with some people thinking there could have been more of a jump forward with the iPhone 3GS (not stating my opinion just restating what people have said), would it make more sense to a) just wait until the next one is announced, or b) wait until Apple picks up a different carrier (like Verizon which does have 3G where I live).

Let me know what you guys think.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Omni245 View Post

That is just the question: is buying the new iPhone if you don't own one a good idea. I know that seems like a dumb question but for my situation I'm not too sure. I want your guys take on this. You steered me perfectly on buying the iMac so I'm turning to your guy's wisdom again.

-) I don't really own a cellphone. I have one but only use it for emergencies.

-) I don't have a huge community of friends who are techies and so a community of people to keep up with isn't there.

-) I live in what I like to call "the black hole of technology." I have high speed but only EDGE stretches to where I live and there are only pockets of 3G and no Wifi.

-) I already own a second generation iPod Touch.

Now I'd like to start keeping in touch with people more, and being me I know the iPhone is the cellphone I want to use. But, with how AT&T locks you in, and with some people thinking there could have been more of a jump forward with the iPhone 3GS (not stating my opinion just restating what people have said), would it make more sense to a) just wait until the next one is announced, or b) wait until Apple picks up a different carrier (like Verizon which does have 3G where I live).

Let me know what you guys think.

Well, the decision to buy an iPhone or not has a lot to do with your needs. I love it- but it certainly isn't for everyone. Are you a big email user? Do you travel a lot? Are you a music fan? Also, who is it that you would like to get in touch with (no specifics, obviously)? If they're involved in online social networking, the iPhone could be an excellent phone.

You mentioned having an iPod touch, are you using that mainly for music, or for other applications as well?

I'm interested to learn a little more about what you are looking for.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    omni245omni245 Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhoneAddict View Post

Well, the decision to buy an iPhone or not has a lot to do with your needs. I love it- but it certainly isn't for everyone. Are you a big email user? Do you travel a lot? Are you a music fan? Also, who is it that you would like to get in touch with (no specifics, obviously)? If they're involved in online social networking, the iPhone could be an excellent phone.

You mentioned having an iPod touch, are you using that mainly for music, or for other applications as well?

I'm interested to learn a little more about what you are looking for.

I use my iPod Touch mostly for music only because there is no WiFi where I live, so getting apps that rely on an internet connection (whether they are free or not) isn't really an option for me. That is the one thing that appealed to me about the iPhone is that I would finally be able to use those applications even though it was on the EDGE network.

As for e-mail...I'd say I'm a typical user not a power one. And traveling I do very little of it atm but would like to someday make up for that.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Omni245 View Post

I use my iPod Touch mostly for music only because there is no WiFi where I live, so getting apps that rely on an internet connection (whether they are free or not) isn't really an option for me. That is the one thing that appealed to me about the iPhone is that I would finally be able to use those applications even though it was on the EDGE network.

As for e-mail...I'd say I'm a typical user not a power one. And traveling I do very little of it atm but would like to someday make up for that.

With only EDGE in your area I'd see if I could get a 2G iPhone for cheap and pay a lower monthy fee with AT&T.