MacBook Pro 13-inch vs. PowerBook 12-inch?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is it fair to say that the new MacBook Pro 13-inch coming in as/like the PowerBook 12-inch? Back in the PowerBook days, I had the dilemma whether I should get the 13 or 15 (and I ended up getting the 15). 5 years later (now), I have the same situation! 15's screen-size is amazing, but the 13's portability is very tempting! For the past 5 years (and moving on), the Mac was/is primarily used for surfing the web and logging into work via VNC. What to do now as a second-time buyer?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tling View Post

Is it fair to say that the new MacBook Pro 13-inch coming in as/like the PowerBook 12-inch? Back in the PowerBook days, I had the dilemma whether I should get the 13 or 15 (and I ended up getting the 15). 5 years later (now), I have the same situation! 15's screen-size is amazing, but the 13's portability is very tempting! For the past 5 years (and moving on), the Mac was/is primarily used for surfing the web and logging into work via VNC. What to do now as a second-time buyer?

How's your vision? If you have less than perfect vision, you are going to have to use a lower resolution. That requires more screen real estate to get things done. If vision is not a factor, I can see no reason to go with the 15" form factor.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Macbook + large external screen gives you the best of both.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Macbook + large external screen gives you the best of both.

Good luck dragging that large external screen to the park or library or anywhere but the desktop you originally set it.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    tlingtling Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

How's your vision? If you have less than perfect vision, you are going to have to use a lower resolution. That requires more screen real estate to get things done. If vision is not a factor, I can see no reason to go with the 15" form factor.

20/20! 15 is a lot nicer with the wider screen. However, I'm leaning towards the 13 for portability (after years of trekking with my 15). Would I regret giving up the wider screen? Also, is it the right time to get a MacBook Pro now, or should I hang on to my PowerBook running Leopard before they release Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tling View Post

20/20! 15 is a lot nicer with the wider screen. However, I'm leaning towards the 13 for portability (after years of trekking with my 15). Would I regret giving up the wider screen? Also, is it the right time to get a MacBook Pro now, or should I hang on to my PowerBook running Leopard before they release Snow Leopard?

I fear that with openCL , 3d gaming and the un-known future.The TWO chip MAC will be the best call.

I think