New Version of X11 is out!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
0.2



Check it out.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by drumbug1:

    <strong>0.2



    Check it out.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Intalled it and then launched it. It came up with twm instead of the quartz-wm. I killed twm and manually launced quartz-wm and all was fine but I can't find the 'preference' for setting it to launch quartz-wm as the default.



    Any ideas?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by physguy:

    <strong>



    Intalled it and then launched it. It came up with twm instead of the quartz-wm. I killed twm and manually launced quartz-wm and all was fine but I can't find the 'preference' for setting it to launch quartz-wm as the default.



    Any ideas?</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Check your ~/.xinitrc file
  • Reply 3 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by drumbug1:

    <strong>



    Check your ~/.xinitrc file</strong><hr></blockquote>



    And if you don't have one, look at /etc/X11/xinit - there may be a file called xinitrc there - either edit it, or rename it.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,502member
    So what are the new changes and such? Anything worth noting? Anything important?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    [quote]Originally posted by NoahJ:

    <strong>So what are the new changes and such? Anything worth noting? Anything important?</strong><hr></blockquote>



    some copy/paste issues with aqua. not sure what else yet
  • Reply 6 of 15
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,502member
    [quote]Originally posted by giant:

    <strong>



    some copy/paste issues with aqua. not sure what else yet</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Those are good things, copy/paste was bugging me... Keep the info coming.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Some more info can be found here:



    <a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/download/"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/download/</a>;



    [ 02-10-2003: Message edited by: DoughBoy ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by curmi:

    <strong>



    And if you don't have one, look at /etc/X11/xinit - there may be a file called xinitrc there - either edit it, or rename it.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Thanks. I wasn't aware of the /etc/X11 file. Don't know what it was set to launch twm???
  • Reply 9 of 15
    There's a minor bug in Apple's installer. When installing you should do a custom install and check the last box. This sets the Aqua window manager to be the default.



    The Apple guys on the X11 mailing list say you can just reinstall over the top if you've already ran it, rather than fix the problem the command line ways (creating a ~/.xinitrc file or deleting/amending the X11 default file: /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc).



    edit: Dvorak keyboards works now!



    [ 02-11-2003: Message edited by: stupider...likeafox ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 15
    othelloothello Posts: 1,053member
    can you just install 0.2 over a previous install of X11?



    <img src="confused.gif" border="0">
  • Reply 11 of 15
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,502member
    [quote]Originally posted by othello:

    <strong>can you just install 0.2 over a previous install of X11?



    :confused: </strong><hr></blockquote>



    Yes you can. Just be sure to do a custom install and check the little box to reset the environment.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by othello:

    <strong>can you just install 0.2 over a previous install of X11?



    :confused: </strong><hr></blockquote>



    You can install Apple's X11 beta 2 over itself if you need to fix the bug that sets the wrong default window manager. If your x11 windows don't have the gumdrop widgets for close, minimize and zoom then you have this problem.



    You can also install X11 beta 2 over beta 1 with no problems, remember to check that checkbox or you'll end up with the wrong window manager.



    If you want to install Apple's X11 over XonX's XDarwin implementation of X then the installer will back up whatever is currently in the relevant folders. This means you will only be able to use Apple's version.



    Apparently you can get both to live side-by-side with a little fiddling but you're on your own with that one.



    This *might* break fink, I think there were issues with beta 1. Check <a href="http://fink.sf.net"; target="_blank">http://fink.sf.net</a>; to be sure.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Where are some X11 Apple compatable downloads? Applications, games, etc?



    I am really very interested in using GRASS but I am far far far from a developer and I have no idea how to compile...has anyone out there done it?



    [ 02-11-2003: Message edited by: Jared ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Jared:

    <strong>Where are some X11 Apple compatable downloads? Applications, games, etc?



    I am really very interested in using GRASS but I am far far far from a developer and I have no idea how to compile...has anyone out there done it?



    [ 02-11-2003: Message edited by: Jared ]</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Open Office. Seems like a fairly stable app. Still doesn't have an aqua face yet but its coming.



    <a href="http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html"; target="_blank">open office final beta</a>



    Have fun.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jared:

    <strong>Where are some X11 Apple compatable downloads? Applications, games, etc?</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Apple X11 compatible? You can do better than that. How about Apple's X11 packages! w00tz0r!



    <a href="http://opendarwin.org/projects/darwinports/en/x11.php"; target="_blank">Get your w00tz0r here!</a>



    Barto



    [ 02-12-2003: Message edited by: Barto ]</p>
Sign In or Register to comment.