Washington Post: ATT TO CHARGE EXTORTION FEE FOR MMS ON TOP OF SMS

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Quote from the article

"AT&T may also start charging an additional fee for new services, such as MMS "

MMS is not a new service, and furthermore, the txting plan price charts say "x number of SMS OR MMS in and out for $y/Mo" so if they charge us iphone users extra but not BB users, or users of the dummy $20 handsets, that would be such bad PR that not even att is that stupid...

Has ATT put out any kind of statement outlining exactly what the fuck is going on with the plans and texting and mms and whatever, or should I just give up on the iphone all together and go back a BB on VZW so I at least know what I will be paying and what I will receive for the payment.

Link to artical

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Quote from the article

MMS is not a new service, and furthermore, the txting plan price charts say "x number of SMS OR MMS in and out for $y/Mo" so if they charge us iphone users extra but not BB users, or users of the dummy $20 handsets, that would be such bad PR that not even att is that stupid...

Has ATT put out any kind of statement outlining exactly what the fuck is going on with the plans and texting and mms and whatever, or should I just give up on the iphone all together and go back a BB on VZW so I at least know what I will be paying and what I will receive for the payment.

Link to artical

Yeah, I read the Post article, and yeah, you're right, AT&T's plans are for text, picture or IM messages. I highly doubt that they're going to start charging extra for MMS if you already have a text package. I believe the article was mainly talking about tethering being an extra charge. Also, last time I had checked, AT&T charges a few pennies more if you send a MMS without have a messaging package. I think the Post just ran with a story without fleshing out any of the underlying details (like, as you pointed out, that messaging plans include picture message), but of course - it's the Post, I'm not that surprised. All AT&T has said is that MMS and Tethering are coming later this year (more than likely MMS before Tethering).
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Quote from the article

Your headline is a total misrepresentation of the Tricia Duryee's mocoNEWS.net article reposted on washingtonpost.com. The second paragraph of her article reads as follows:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alicia Duryee

AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel told Dow Jones that there are no plans to alter the company?s data prices when the iPhone 3G S goes on sale next Friday. Siegel: ?We?ve been very happy with our pricing.? And, why wouldn?t they? The average monthly bill for an iPhone user is in the mid-$90 range.

You have taken her speculation in the remainder of the article as an opportunity to spread FUD. The Washington Post's website requires free registration. Alicia Duryee's article is just a mouse-click away on the mocoNEWS.net website where it was first posted. You can find her article here.