Whither CS5? After Snow Leopard?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Once the OS goes fully 64bit top to bottom how long will we wait for Adobe to release the 64bit Photoshop and other CS apps? It is Adobe after all, so I bet we won't see it before next year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Once the OS goes fully 64bit top to bottom how long will we wait for Adobe to release the 64bit Photoshop and other CS apps? It is Adobe after all, so I bet we won't see it before next year.

Discussion was done on this a while ago. Adobe delivered CS4 on Windows in 64-bit and in a nutshell said CS5 for Mac was the earliest version with a chance for 64-bit on OS X.

Adobe basically has to get rid of deprecated Carbon (since Apple killed Carbon 64) and move to Cocoa.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Discussion was done on this a while ago. Adobe delivered CS4 on Windows in 64-bit and in a nutshell said CS5 for Mac was the earliest version with a chance for 64-bit on OS X.

Adobe basically has to get rid of deprecated Carbon (since Apple killed Carbon 64) and move to Cocoa.

That is what I remember - Adobe was having to pretty much rewrite the code (or whatever the proper technical term is) for the apps. What I don't remember is if Adobe gave a time frame for the rewrite. Seems like timing it to the release of Snow Leopard might make sense.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    CS5 will be 64 bit and Adobe releases updates every 18-24 months.

Since CS4 was released in Sept 2008, we're looking at Spring 2010 for CS5.

Of course, Pixelmator should be 64-bit long before then.