using a 2g sim card in the iphone 3GS

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
HI all,

Im thinking about buying a pay as you go 3gs on Friday and keeping my original contract.....

Will this work??

Will my 2g sim card work in the iphone 3GS and will I still be able to use all of the features.....safari, compass, tom tom, nike+ etc etc

thanks in advance!!!

Stuart

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuartteach View Post

HI all,

Im thinking about buying a pay as you go 3gs on Friday and keeping my original contract.....

Will this work??

Will my 2g sim card work in the iphone 3GS and will I still be able to use all of the features.....safari, compass, tom tom, nike+ etc etc

thanks in advance!!!

Stuart

cheers everyone....
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I need to know this too. My 3GS is shipping to my house, do i just swap sims and do everything via iTunes?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    When you say 2G SIM, do you mean SIM from the 2G iPhone, or do you mean a SIM that is only capable of 2G operation?

In the UK at least, the 2G iPhone shipped with a 3G SIM.

There is an incompatibility where newer phones require a USIM and won't read an older SIM card. Typically, USIMs are 3G capable and older cards are not. If you don't have a USIM you may have problems.

Amorya
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

When you say 2G SIM, do you mean SIM from the 2G iPhone, or do you mean a SIM that is only capable of 2G operation?

In the UK at least, the 2G iPhone shipped with a 3G SIM.

There is an incompatibility where newer phones require a USIM and won't read an older SIM card. Typically, USIMs are 3G capable and older cards are not. If you don't have a USIM you may have problems.

Amorya

Yes, I mean whatever sim came in my 2g iPhone. So I should be able to just swap them and dock my new phone...right?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nascarnate326 View Post

Yes, I mean whatever sim came in my 2g iPhone. So I should be able to just swap them and dock my new phone...right?

Couldn't tell you for sure. Take the SIM out and look at it. Does it say 3G on it?

If you're in the UK you can do this, as I've tried. But other countries may work differently.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

Couldn't tell you for sure. Take the SIM out and look at it. Does it say 3G on it?

If you're in the UK you can do this, as I've tried. But other countries may work differently.

Yes is says 3G. Why would they put a 3g sim in a non 3g phone?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nascarnate326 View Post

Yes is says 3G. Why would they put a 3g sim in a non 3g phone?

In case you want to swap the SIM into a 3G phone? Dunno. They probably don't make the older ones any more or something.

You'll be good to go.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuartteach View Post

HI all,

Will this work??

thanks in advance!!!

Stuart

Not sure, but the 2G phone data plan was $20 per month and the 3G data plan was $30 per month..... that SIM might have to be updated for 3G to work properly, otherwise I'd hate to see your bill if they charge you $0.01/kb for 3G service. I don't know how the pay as you go works but I'm assuming you still need a data plan for each month even though you're not in a contract?IDK