Which MBP?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok so i'm going to college in the fall and want to get a new laptop. I can't decide if I should get the new generation 2.66 ghz with the 256mb graphics card or the previous generation 2.66 ghz with the 512mb graphics card. I like to play cod4 which is why i'd want the better graphics card. What i'm really wondering is what's new on the current generations of macbook pro's over the previous one. The SD reader also isn't really a big deal for me.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Get the better graphics if you intend to game on it.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    tirmenattirmenat Posts: 11member
    Is there a large difference between the 256mb 9600 and then 512mb 9600?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    k515k515 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tirmenat View Post

Is there a large difference between the 256mb 9600 and then 512mb 9600?

That's what I was thinking - this is why I'm getting the MBP with the 512 MB 9600 instead of the 256 MB 9600.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    How would either of those 2 cards compare to a 1 gig 8800gtx? I could get the previous generation mbp with a 512 mb 9600 for the same price as a current generation mbp with a 256 mb 9600. What should I do? What's new on the refreshed mbp's?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Ok so i'm going to college in the fall and want to get a new laptop. I can't decide if I should get the new generation 2.66 ghz with the 256mb graphics card or the previous generation 2.66 ghz with the 512mb graphics card. I like to play cod4 which is why i'd want the better graphics card. What i'm really wondering is what's new on the current generations of macbook pro's over the previous one. The SD reader also isn't really a big deal for me.

Thanks

I've CoD 4 on my iMac with the ATI 2600 pro and 256 of vram. It plays great and is a great game. I'm totally addicted.

The 9600 is at least as good and probably a better card. It should do fine in either 256 or 512 vram configurations with CoD 4.

Having said that I'd lean towards the 512 vram machine. It'll be more future proof. BTW, do you know if modern warfare 2 will have a Mac version?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I have no idea. I'm getting parallels for my mbp so if not, i'll be fine.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I have no idea. I'm getting parallels for my mbp so if not, i'll be fine.

You can't do intense gaming with virtualization software.

You'll need a boot-camp partition. No big deal, just don't waste money on Parallels unless you intend to use it for other tasks.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    OK so I ordered the previous generation 2.66GHz with the 512mb 9600 today! I got parallels with it, but it was free so no biggie.