LG developing fingerprint resistant OLED

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
could the next iPhone uses an OLED screen from LG that resists fingerprints>

I don't care either way just give me OLED and a revamped iPhone in 2010 and I'm a happy camper.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I was never happy with the display on the iPhone anyway, doesn't handle blacks near as well as the iMac for example, so this would be welcomed. In fact when I first reviewed the iPhone 2G briefly way back when on here I specifically remember mentioning the screen, and I was surprised what I thought would be the best part of the phone was actually its weakest link. People will differ with my on this - especially fanboys - but I know what I see, and I've owned a few iPhones including my current 3G. I was hoping the 3G S would be OLED, but I remained pretty convinced Apple would slap another LCD on their.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Yeah I figure Apple's just getting ready for the LG OLED product. Why else would they have invested so much money into LG?

I figure iPhone/iPod Touch 2010 will be OLED.

There's no doubting the contrast and extra wide viewing angles.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    For the life of me I don't understand all the complaints about iPhones LCD screen. It is a good screen from what I can see. It works especially well in a variety of environmental conditions. Maybe I'm missing something.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to get an OLED Based IPhone. Especially one with an even larger display but that doesn't imply that the current iPhone is unusable. It is actually pretty good. Noteably my 3G is scrolling much smoother now with 3.0.

As to the research that is likely a tablet device. It would be a far better use of the new tech.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 4
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    And I don't understand why LG would need to 'develop' a fingerprint resistent OLED display.

The iPhone 3G S has a thin glass plate with oleophobic coating, underneath it a capacitive sensor and underneath it an LCD.

What's so hard in swapping the LCD for an OLED display? Surely one doesn't need to 'develop' an OLED display with special coating.

Just use the existing glass plate!

And anything but a glass plate would be rather scratch prone anyway.