Help re: Battery Issue

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

I had been traveling for 2 weeks and did not use my MacBook this while.

On my return I found my battery had completely discharged and now it simply shows "0%" charge along with the message "Battery is not charging".

I did some research over the internet and found that there were battery update releases 1.2 and 1.4 that addressed this particular issue of batteries losing charge over a period of unuse. Apple even arranged an extended battery replacement program.

However, when i visited the apple service provider I was told that my battery want covered under the same program.

I then stumbled onto a discussion thread on apple discussion forum, link below:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1954449

I discovered that there are a few others experiencing similar problems and that this wasnt a one off case. batteries having the same device name, pack lot code and firmware version died in exactly same abnormal way.

I called up Customer Relations, but since my battery wasnt covered under the program they cudnt make a replacement. After i insisted that my battery displayed similar symptoms as the the other defective batteries and experienced the issues noted in battery update program 1.2 & 1.4 I was advised to got to a service provider and ask them to escalate my case to a senior engineer who would then carry out an elaborate diagnosis. should an inherent defect be discovered i will get a replacement battery.

however there are only 3rd party "authorized" service centres here who do not entertain such requests. What am i to do? how can i get apple to review my case ?

it just feels unsatisfactory to lose a battery in such a manner... i wudnt feel much pain if i would have lost a consumed battery. this one had only 206 recharge cycles.

heres the complete battery info.

Battery Information:

Model Information:

Serial NumbertDP-ASMB016-36a9-****

ManufacturertDP

Device nametASMB016

Pack Lot Codet0002

PCB Lot Codet0000

Firmware Versiont102a

Hardware Revisiont0500

Cell Revisiont0102

Charge Information:

Charge remaining (mAh)t0

Fully chargedtNo

ChargingtNo

Full charge capacity (mAh)t0

Health Information:

Cycle countt206

ConditiontCheck battery

Battery InstalledtYes

Amperage (mA)t18

Voltage (mV)t4404

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. I believe there are many here who actually work for Apple. Guys Plz help me out here. I love apple and this is just all to upsetting... i cant afford a purchase right now and i cant compromise with mobility. what am i to do?

thnx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    As far as I know, Apple is pretty good about replacing batteries that are shot with fewer than 300 cycles, which your post indicates is the case.

Completely dead seems like a particularly good candidate; if you can get to an Apple store a genius will confirm that it's not taking a charge at all with just 206 cycles and will be likely to just give you a new battery.

I see in your post that you only have access to "service providers", so maybe you're not in the vicinity of an Apple Store? Do you know where the closest one is? It might be worth your while-- I've had Apple Store employees replace things, now questions asked, even when Apple services reps weren't very helpful.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    addabox, thank yu very much for yur reply. I wish I cud visit n Apple genius, but there arent any apple stores in my country, only 3rd party service providers.

Because of this geographical handicap I called Customer Relations, but they refused to help on account that my battery technical stats cant be diagnosed over the phone!

All this is so upsetting...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    One more thing... technician at the service provider inserted a dongle and ran some battery utility... my computer showed up as a dot in the RED region with big red bold letters BAD. I reckon my dot was way off the CONSUMED threshold. How can i relay this info to Apple? Doesnt this imply that there is an inherent defect in the battery?

Please help. really appreciate any suggestions. thnx
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Any Suggestions, Anyone? Please Help!

Thanks.