Start up chime

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The start up chime hasn't been working for the past two days. I haven't been able to find a cure in the "Help" section. Preferences 'sound' doesn't have a cure. What can I try next?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    You could try a PRam reset by holding down command-option-p-r when you startup - hold the 4 keys down until it reboots twice.

It may be that your system startup volume was just turned off, which is separate from your sound settings.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You might have the mute key pressed.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You might have the mute key pressed.

Good thought, Ireland. As I sometimes use the mute, I thought that was a possibility. So, I made sure the sound was on - volume turned up - and restarted. Nope. No chime.

Then I tried marvin's suggestion. Got a chime, albeit, rather weak. Something's afoot. What would I do without you guys?

I tried your suggestion a couple more times, Marvin, - PRam reset double reboot. Still get a weak chime. However, this is on my older computer, the G4 and it has other problems - mainly slooooooowness.

I've been thinking that the reason I like the Mac so much is that you guys are there to bail me out when I have a problem. I never had that when I used PC's for 20 years.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Still get a weak chime.

There are NVRam commands for the terminal that let you set the volume but I came across a preference pane that lets you set the volume without using the terminal:

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/S.../index.en.html
  • Reply 5 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Removed by author
  • Reply 6 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There are NVRam commands for the terminal that let you set the volume but I came across a preference pane that lets you set the volume without using the terminal:

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/S.../index.en.html

I think that under your Global Moderator title, it should read "Guru".
  • Reply 7 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    It's true: Marvin is insanely knowledgeable. In a way that's actually pragmatically helpful and not just show-offy.

All hail Marvin.