9600m gt

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I am excited about getting my first apple computer and have made many decisions about which one to get. The only things I have left to consider is this:

Does having the 9600M GT gpu increase general graphical performance in OS X? I read a post somewhere about a guy who was having problems scrolling but the problem was fixed by enabling the 9600. Can anyone attest to this?

Second, would getting the better graphics chip increase general performance in SL, as it would be used for many more general tasks through OpenCL. Or do you think it will not make much difference.

Thanks for the input, I can't wait to get my first mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Very, very few programs will ever take advantage of OpenCL. The only actions that will benefit from GPU acceleration are highly parallel tasks like video encoding, and it will take time for those programs to be re-written and optimized for the new tech. Of course, if you do plan on using software that is GPU-accelerated (some already is), that is another story.

And I sincerely doubt there is a difference in general graphical performance in OSX between the 9400 and the 9600. The operating system's effects just don't need that much power. The dedicated VRAM might help if you plan on using an external monitor.

The 9600M would be a lot better for games, though.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    zenzezenze Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Very, very few programs will ever take advantage of OpenCL. The only actions that will benefit from GPU acceleration are highly parallel tasks like video encoding, and it will take time for those programs to be re-written and optimized for the new tech. Of course, if you do plan on using software that is GPU-accelerated (some already is), that is another story.

And I sincerely doubt there is a difference in general graphical performance in OSX between the 9400 and the 9600. The operating system's effects just don't need that much power. The dedicated VRAM might help if you plan on using an external monitor.

The 9600M would be a lot better for games, though.

Yea I didn't think that there should have been a difference in performance in OS X between the 9400 and 9600, it would be crazy for apple to sell a computer that was not capable of running its OS. In fact I thought about it more and realized that I didn't notice any problems with the one I tested at the apple store...

And thanks for the OpenCL stuff. I already do a few things that benefit from GPU acceleration but you don't think that SL in general will benefit from a more powerful GPU? Thats what they seemed to suggest at WWDC anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zenze View Post

And thanks for the OpenCL stuff. I already do a few things that benefit from GPU acceleration but you don't think that SL in general will benefit from a more powerful GPU? Thats what they seemed to suggest at WWDC anyway.

Some people on these forums talk like OpenCL and Grand Central are going to make major changes. They aren't. I'm sorry, I just don't see that happening. They should be very useful for some specific applications, though.

The 9600M is theoretically about twice as powerful as the 9400M. In the real world, that might someday translate to shaving 30% off a video rendering time, for example, assuming the right software (or even 50% if the software is perfectly optimized). But it won't help other tasks, like web browsing and word processing, at all. Or general operating system performance (aside from visual effects). Those things are never going to be GPU accelerated.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    I hope I don't sound too pessimistic. I think this stuff is all great. It's just very limited.