Need input on those Clear Armor / Zagg stick on clear sheets

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
OK- I had my original iPhone 1st gen since it came out, and I always kept it in this Agent 18 case- awesome case and I could dock it while leaving it in the case. But i ust picked up the 3gs and I want to keep its sleek feel. so I am thinking about getting one of those clear stick on plastic cases that are made of the same material they use to protect cars from chips and helicopter blades from sand. There is a store near me at the Irvine spectrum mall that will apply the Zagg one called fusion of ideas.

My question is this- anyone here use these things? Are they good? Also- which one is the best- it seems like there are differences between them... Zagg looks like it offers the best coverage...

I want this thing to last. I love it and I got the white 32 gb so I want it to look good. thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I've used them on a number of different products. The one for the iPhone 3G doesn't work so well for me. The nature of the device makes it very hard for the film to stick to the corners of the iPhone. So they end up popping up and creating little creases. This wouldn't be so bad except they really collect pocket lint and they become pretty ugly. I'm a big fan of them for SOME things like my iPods but for the iPhones they just don't stick on that well. Also, they are a royal PITA to put on in the first place.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    It's early for me to submit a review, because I just installed my ZAGG Invisible Shield 2 days ago, but so far so good. Installation is tricky, and you want to get it perfect because the whole point of these shields is to provide a 'naked' look and feel (otherwise you'd just use a case).

My install went well, and you can't tell there is anything on my phone, but I've pulled the scissors test a few times to show off to coworkers how well the shield resists scratches. The corners can be tricky but aren't impossible, watch the web videos and take care in your installation.

We'll see how it holds up after banging around in my pocket for a month, but I can imagine keeping this on permanently because it's nice to have a slick 'naked' phone and no worry about scratches.

(I don't recommend installing the front shield, it's just not necessary.)
  • Reply 3 of 6
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

It's early for me to submit a review, because I just installed my ZAGG Invisible Shield 2 days ago, but so far so good. Installation is tricky, and you want to get it perfect because the whole point of these shields is to provide a 'naked' look and feel (otherwise you'd just use a case).

My install went well, and you can't tell there is anything on my phone, but I've pulled the scissors test a few times to show off to coworkers how well the shield resists scratches. The corners can be tricky but aren't impossible, watch the web videos and take care in your installation.

We'll see how it holds up after banging around in my pocket for a month, but I can imagine keeping this on permanently because it's nice to have a slick 'naked' phone and no worry about scratches.

(I don't recommend installing the front shield, it's just not necessary.)

Any issues with bubbles or peeling on the edges? How does it look wrapping around the chrome bezel?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Any issues with bubbles or peeling on the edges? How does it look wrapping around the chrome bezel?

You can't even see it on the chrome, it's truly invisible there. I had a few bubbles at first, but between my 'working them out' and the natural way they tend to disappear I have none now.

The only flaw in my installation is a tiny bit of one of the corners that doesn't lay right because I didn't place it down correctly. Other than that, it's flawless.

You can't tell anything is on the phone unless you look closely or catch the phone in the right light where the 'orange peel' effect becomes visible.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    jkozjkoz Posts: 48member
    How far does the back part come up to the screen? Does it cover the silver? I have a screen protector (Crystal Film Set) on mine and am interested in perhaps getting the back piece, but only if it'll match up.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkoz View Post

How far does the back part come up to the screen? Does it cover the silver? I have a screen protector (Crystal Film Set) on mine and am interested in perhaps getting the back piece, but only if it'll match up.

Installed correctly, the Invisible Shield back piece covers about 1/2 to 3/4 of the side chrome pieces, and none of the top/bottom (unless you opt to affix those pieces themselves). It will work great with ANY screen protector.