Why cant OS X read CDFS disks?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I get tons of CDFS disks from clients.

I dont have single Mac (X or 9) that can read the format, thus I need a dedicated PC that does nothing but reads CDs all day. Then I copy the data over to an OS X Samba server so my Mac users can get the files.

Why is this? I can't blame the client. I have tested this for over a year now. What is going on?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by dstranathan:

<strong>I get tons of CDFS disks from clients.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What exactly is a CDFS disc?

Could you open the CD in Nero or some other burning program and check what format that reports?

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 2 of 8
    CDFS stands for CDROM File System. It is just a driver that windows boxes use (since Win 95) for CDROMs. It sounds to me like your clients aren't closing out their session/burn when they send you a disk. Most of the time when we get that here at work (where a Mac can't read a CD burned on a CD) I pop it in my PC and launch CD Creator and see that they're using Direct CD (which allows them to use the CD like a floppy) and forgetting to close their session.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    So it's another case of an integral piece of Windows software being poorly implemented isn't it?

I also encountered this problem on a recent job and was blown away at how sloppy this "solution" turns out to be.

just damn.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I have a TON of PC clients. 90% of their PC burned CDs are unreadable by my Mac. Not in OS 9, and not in OS X.

I really can't blame ALL my clients for this problem. It looks like a cop-out. My boss' solution: "well, then lets get PCs". He has a point. If the sessions in fact were closed wrong as you say, it doens't matter, 'cause I can get the data from a PC, just not a Mac. It's not like the data is corrupted, I can retrieve it fine from a Windows box.

I literally see this problem all day long. Its getting outta control. Fast.

My managers are getting tired of me explaining why Macs can't read our clients data.

I used to brag how Macs could deal with so many file formats and file systems. But now I am out of excuses.

[ 02-22-2003: Message edited by: dstranathan ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 8
    It's a HUGE problem and something that is TOTALLY non-standard to the industry. Smacks of something that's been done to ensure that users must stay wedded to the PC platform.....
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Would it really be that hard for Apple to implement their CD reading drivers in such a way that this wouldn't be a problem ? ...

I know I'd sure like to do multi-session CD's from the finder rather than having to go to Toast or something ...

The idea of being able to use a CDRW like a floppy is a GOOD idea. I'm actually surprised Apple didn't implement it first.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    have you tried loading toast on your mac?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Yeah, I've had Toast Titanium since it came out.....

Tell me how it can help me read these discs, because I've TRIED doing it!!!