AGP Pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I heared that new PowerMac models could ship with the AGP Pro port and while many people claim it bears no difference to AGP 4x I think I saw a Pro 3D card review some time ago that claimed that AGP Pro gains a lot of speed especially when dealing with applications as used in the Pro 3D and CAD market (lots of bigger polycount data juggled around, as opposed to lots of textures on low polycount models in games). If Apple goes for AGP Pro, could that mean that they will also have the NVidia Quadro and maybe ATI FireGL cards lined up as BTO? It would really make PowerMacs interesting for the "pro" unix workstation market, especially with Lightwave and Maya being released for OSX.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    If they could hold it to the current price points that would go a long way to justifying the prices they charge for the PowerMacs.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    thttht Posts: 5,530member
    <strong>Originally posted by xype:

I heared that new PowerMac models could ship with the AGP Pro port and while many people claim it bears no difference to AGP 4x</strong>

The only difference between AGP 4x and AGP Pro is about 20 to 90 Watts of power (there were specs for 50 and 110 Watts). The bandwidth of the interfaces are exactly the same, 1066 MByte/s.

The reason AGP Pro spec came into being is because many workstation class graphics cards required more electrical power than the AGP 4x specified. So, AGP Pro cards may have higher performance by virtue of actually being able power multiple geometry accelerators for instance, not because AGP Pro has higher bandwidth then AGP 4x.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    What you are probably mistaking is the difference between AGP 8x and AGP Pro, only AGP 8x is faster than AGP 4x.

G-News
  • Reply 4 of 10
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    Originally posted by THT:

&gt; The only difference between AGP 4x and AGP Pro

&gt; is about 20 to 90 Watts of power (there were

&gt; specs for 50 and 110 Watts). The bandwidth of

&gt; the interfaces are exactly the same, 1066

&gt; MByte/s.

Ah, that would explain why a Wildcat card needs a Pro AGP port whereas the Quadro doesn't, thanks!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by THT:

<strong>[qb]Originally posted by xype:

I heared that new PowerMac models could ship with the AGP Pro port and while many people claim it bears no difference to AGP 4x</strong>

The only difference between AGP 4x and AGP Pro is about 20 to 90 Watts of power (there were specs for 50 and 110 Watts). The bandwidth of the interfaces are exactly the same, 1066 MByte/s.

The reason AGP Pro spec came into being is because many workstation class graphics cards required more electrical power than the AGP 4x specified. So, AGP Pro cards may have higher performance by virtue of actually being able power multiple geometry accelerators for instance, not because AGP Pro has higher bandwidth then AGP 4x.[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

Yes this is the reason. However AGP pro is needeed for professional 3D card that need a lot of electrical power. I have seen this in this forum that one of the major problem on the 3 d professional market for Apple, is the lack of video3D professional card. Perhaps they want to show a solution based upon the new powermac MP with Maya and a professional 3 video card accelerator.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    And if we are lucky, we might see an AGP Pro 50, which will give us enough power to run dual Cinema Displays! Now if we can get Apple & nVidia to give us a Mac OS X/Maya optimized dual ADC ported Quadro DCC card...!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by MacJunkie:

<strong>And if we are lucky, we might see an AGP Pro 50, which will give us enough power to run dual Cinema Displays! Now if we can get Apple & nVidia to give us a Mac OS X/Maya optimized dual ADC ported Quadro DCC card...!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would also need someone giving me money for such a computer
  • Reply 8 of 10
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    All the insanely great hardware is no substitute for human talent.

Shakespear didn't need Word on a 1Ghz G4 to right any of his work. etc, et al.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by NeoMac:

<strong>All the insanely great hardware is no substitute for human talent.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The best of talent doesn't make my hardware any faster and I don't have the need to go drinking coffee all day long.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by NeoMac:

<strong>Shakespear didn't need Word on a 1Ghz G4 to right any of his work. etc, et al.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, but you need a spell checker