Buying an iPhone with no contract?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
When I was in America last summer, I was very disappointed to learn that I could not buy an iPhone without a contract. Just that previous winter, I had picked up 2 iPhones for $399 a piece online. Now the 3G version is selling for a massive $580 (just down from $680 upon the release of 3Gs) without contract in Hong Kong. That's just crazy.

Are you able to get them without contract in USA? How much do they cost this way? I can't find any info on the apple website.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Rogers in Canada sells them for $699 without a contract. Oh, and eBay sells them without a contract
  • Reply 2 of 3
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    eBay is your friend, just buy carefully.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Rogers in Canada sells them for $699 without a contract. Oh, and eBay sells them without a contract

What I find odd is the price-comparison of the 16GB/32GB iPhone/Touch:

16GB iPhone (device only from Rogers) - 680 CAD

16GB iPod Touch - 330 CAD

32GB iPhone - 780 CAD

32GB Touch - 430 CAD

The mark-up for the iPhone is 350 CAD in both cases. Does this make sense? What is the physical difference between the two devices? A chip to handle GSM transmission and one for GPS? Someone tell me there is more.

If Apple were selling them, the iPhone would be closer to 530/630 CAD (perhaps even a little less). I don't quite understand why Rogers gets to tack-on their own mark-up to the unsubsidized iPhone...