OS X Server and Internet Sharing?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Isn't it odd that server doesn't have internet sharing as a feature in the Sharing preference pane? Am I missing something?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Internet sharing is just a start/stop button for Apache.

Server uses the Admin tools to configure and start/stop Apache. Technically it isn't a system preference at all - it is an application. You use the on/off button in the admin tools instead of pref panes.

Doesn't really seem strange to me?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by The Pie Man:

<strong>Internet sharing is just a start/stop button for Apache.

Server uses the Admin tools to configure and start/stop Apache. Technically it isn't a system preference at all - it is an application. You use the on/off button in the admin tools instead of pref panes.

Doesn't really seem strange to me?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not positive, but I think he means internet sharing as opposed to web sharing: sharing of the actual connection to the internet.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    That's exactly what I mean...INTERNET sharing. I need to run ethernet into my server and share the airport card in it through the house. There is no preference to do so in the System Preferences...Maybe I have to do it with the DHCP Thing in the Server Settings?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Mac OS X Server isn't meant for internet sharing - it's a server, not a router.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jay Contonio:

<strong>That's exactly what I mean...INTERNET sharing. I need to run ethernet into my server and share the airport card in it through the house. There is no preference to do so in the System Preferences...Maybe I have to do it with the DHCP Thing in the Server Settings?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Let me get this straight: You bought Mac OS X Server for home use, and want to use it as a router, without having knowledge about routing?

I have a feeling you really want to buy a simple hardware router instead. They're not even half as expensive.

Anyway, to answer your question, DHCP means Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol and tells DHCP clients how to reach the network (it provides them with an IP address, the gateway address, DNS settings, time server, etc. pp. - cool underrated technology, actually).

What you really want is routing. Mac OS X Server should have some GUI for setting up your network routing, if not, there's plenty of shareware GUIs available.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Actually, "internet sharing" is Network Address Translation (NAT), not routing (although both are involved). (Technically, it's Port Address Translation, but I don't hear that acronym used very often).

Other than that bit of info, I can't be much help though, as I don't own a Server.

John
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I bought server to run my web apps and website with quicktime streaming server out of my house. I used to use the internet sharing to supply wireless to my iBook. I will try redoing this I guess....I was just wondering why it wouldn't have that feature. I know I can always buy a router but since I have a firewall with server and everything else I figured this would be a little nicer and cheaper since I just spend 600 bucks
  • Reply 8 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It's doable by mucking around with natd and ipfw if you're prepared to research the web for the correct settings...

[ 02-28-2003: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>