Full install with Snow Leopard upgrade

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello,

I have a MacBook which came with Leopard. When Snow Leopard comes out, I plan on doing a full install. I want to wipe my drive clean and start over. My question is, will I be able to do this with the $29 upgrade or will I have to buy the full fledged Snow Leopard?

Help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    No one knows. And no one will know until it comes out. My guess (and this is purely a guess) is yes. But I don't know (just like everyone else).
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    i think they'll make this possible. that's just an assumption, though, but i think the effort needed to make it so would be minimal and the moaning if they didn't would be maximal!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Yes, you'll be able to install from scratch with the upgrade DVD, like I can now with my Leopard upgrade DVD.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    To be more specific, Ireland is correct, with one exception. When you run the Snow Leopard upgrade DVD, you will be presented with the option of doing an upgrade or a clean install. But, if you plan on erasing the hard disk first with Disk Utility, then the upgrade DVD will not work. It must see the presence of Leopard, not an empty hard drive.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    antiiantii Posts: 7member
    If you ordered a Mac after 7th june you get snow leopard for $10 and you can pre order it even now, I have already payed!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

To be more specific, Ireland is correct, with one exception. When you run the Snow Leopard upgrade DVD, you will be presented with the option of doing an upgrade or a clean install. But, if you plan on erasing the hard disk first with Disk Utility, then the upgrade DVD will not work. It must see the presence of Leopard, not an empty hard drive.

I don't think this is true, I have installed from scratch with my "Leopard upgrade DVD". At least I think I have.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't think this is true, I have installed from scratch with my "Leopard upgrade DVD". At least I think I have.

I am positive I've tried and the Leopard Upgrade DVD will insist on a previous version of the OS. Anyway, it is still possible to do clean install the other way and I suspect you get the same results.