Anyones 3GS overheating? White ones turning dark...

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Saw a report that some white 3gs handsets are turning dark brown once they overheat. Has anyone noticed this on any of them?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    So far so good...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I read those blog reports and a couple other news blogs that picked up the same story all originating from a french posting. I think it sounds rather like Apple bashing BS. But if the reports would specify the game that was causing the overheating then we could verify it. So far no overheating on my 3G S.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Was there ever more than a single phone, or possibly two, that this was reported about? I remember seeing a picture of one phone, then a rash of tech sites and blogs displaying that picture and speculating darkly about what it meant.

Unless more than a few iPhones show up with color changes on the case I can't imagine this is really any kind of problem.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I'd also wonder if the suspect phone was enclosed in an insulating "skin" at the time of the overheating... Not that there's anything wrong with having a skin over your phone, but Apple didn't design them that way, and for sure they don't dissipate heat as well when insulated.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I'd also wonder if the suspect phone was enclosed in an insulating "skin" at the time of the overheating... Not that there's anything wrong with having a skin over your phone, but Apple didn't design them that way, and for sure they don't dissipate heat as well when insulated.

Given that Apple sells a few dozen kinds of third party cases and skins in their own retail and web stores, I have to question this idea that Apple couldn't be expected to consider whether those skins would be detrimental to heat dissipation and plan accordingly. Ignoring skins would be quite an omission if it were true.

I think it's more likely that there's a few bad units out there, whether or not a skin traps heat, those bad units probably get unacceptably hot anyway. Whether or not a skin is there probably isn't a root cause kind of question.