iMac Cracking (Pictures)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
iMac G5 20 inch 2GHz 1GB

I have noticed this for some time, but it's starting to annoy me.

On the top left corner of my iMac, there are small fissures forming under the surface of the plastic. They look to be from the plastic expanding or contracting. Its important to note that they are not scratches, nor can you feel them on the surface. They are under the surface.

Ranging from .5mm to 2.5mm, there are around 15 of them, all contained in an area about 4x3mm. One is noticeably deeper than the others, it is about .5mm deep.

I paid around $200 for the extended apple care plan when I bought this. Do you think apple will repair the case if I send it in (do they still have G5 cases? Could I get a new computer?), or will they just tell me no?

It is extremely difficult to take pictures of clear plastic with a white background. But here are some pictures. They are big so you can see the detail.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Have you dropped your iMac recently?? lol?

If indeed this is not your fault (which I don't really see how it would be your fault unless you put something really heavy on your iMac, or it incurred some impact or something), Apple will probably do something about it even if you are out of warranty.

I'd suggest contacting Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Contact Apple, it looks like that didn't just happen though.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Hope they deal with you. Even if it is under the warrenty, I don't think they have to do squat...unless it is somehow affect its operation.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Well, they had better do something about it. It's a "flaw in materials or workmanship", and thats what I paid to have covered. They replaced the discolored macbooks didn't they? Did that effect performance?

What I would like to do, is email apple. I don't want to call, or send it in, and not have it for 2 weeks. I would like to email them, and send them pictures, and see if they will do anything.

I have looked, and I can't find such an address. Any help?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Looks like it got smacked or something, right at the wrong spot. We have several iMacs and none of the show the same thing.

Perhaps it got hit while packaged? Or have you got kids who maybe knocked it over while you were away?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    No, I really don't think its been dropped or hit. I have no kids, and it sits in a locked room. I don't think it was like that when I bought it (new from apple store). I have never hit it or dropped it. Also, there is NO sign what so ever of any blunt force trauma. No dents. No nicks. No scratches. Just these cracks under the surface of it. It looks almost they are stress cracks, like it was bent.

The only explanation I can think of it that the room is air-conditioned, and the computer gets really hot. When the computer goes to sleep, the fast temperature change expands and contracts the plastic. Over time, it cracked. If that makes since.... It's only in this one place though.

Any body have that email address?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bradg

Well, they had better do something about it. It's a "flaw in materials or workmanship", and thats what I paid to have covered. They replaced the discolored macbooks didn't they? Did that effect performance?

What I would like to do, is email apple. I don't want to call, or send it in, and not have it for 2 weeks. I would like to email them, and send them pictures, and see if they will do anything.

I have looked, and I can't find such an address. Any help?

I hope they do...and to keep a happy customer, they might give you a break. However, my read on the plan says they don't owe anything to you. This is not my field, perhaps someone who knows the law can ring in on this. The following is from the AppleCare plan...

Quote:

b. Limitations The Plan does not cover:

(viii) Cosmetic damage to the Covered Equipment including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports, that does not otherwise affect its functionality or materially impair your use;

http://www.apple.com/support/products/terms.html

The plan does cover defects in workmanship. But, if the defect does not affect the functionality, I don’t know if they owe you anything under the warranty. Again, I could be wrong on this.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bacillus

I hope they do...and to keep a happy customer, they might give you a break. However, my read on the plan says they don't owe anything to you. This is not my field, perhaps someone who knows the law can ring in on this. The following is from the AppleCare plan...

http://www.apple.com/support/products/terms.html

The plan does cover defects in workmanship. But, if the defect does not affect the functionality, I don?t know if they owe you anything under the warranty. Again, I could be wrong on this.

All legal policies are just to cover the companies ass so that if someone wants to cause trouble, it's a hell of a lot harder. That being said, Apple support is generally very good at making exceptions in individual cases to satisfy the customer. I would definitely call, and chances are, they will do something about it.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I don't think it is. For it to crack that corner would have to cool faster than the rest of the case. In fact it looks as if it was dropped -- the cracks spread radially from that corner.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar

I don't think it is. For it to crack that corner would have to cool faster than the rest of the case. In fact it looks as if it was dropped -- the cracks spread radially from that corner.

I agree, if it was heat related, there would be some warping, and there would be smooth cracks. Those cracks are rigid implying some sort of impact.

But regardless, Apple might ask you if you dropped or hit it or whatever, and if you didn't, the just say you didn't and you don't kno0w what the deal is.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I also develpoped a crack in the bottom right hand corner of my G5 2.0 17". The Apple Store in Toronto replaced the front bezel, but because it was a cosmetic issue, I ended up paying $72 with no labour cost. That was 3 months ago and now I've developed another crack on the bottom left corner (go figure).

Again any help would help.

Merry Christmas