torrent for Mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi all,

I'm new in here. I've just ordered a MacPro 2.16Ghz and hopefully I will receive it on this Friday. I have a little concern about download by torrent in Mac. I've never used or experienced with Mac before. So just wonder that is anyone using Tomato torrent rite now? And how is that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by louis251

Hi all,

I'm new in here. I've just ordered a MacPro 2.16Ghz and hopefully I will receive it on this Friday. I have a little concern about download by torrent in Mac. I've never used or experienced with Mac before. So just wonder that is anyone using Tomato torrent rite now? And how is that?

Use Azureus. It supports encryption. Many trackers have banned Transmission and Tomato.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Use Transmission. It's simple and fast. Azureus's user interface is known to cause severe pain.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Use Transmission. It's simple and fast. Azureus's user interface is known to cause severe pain.

Heh.

You'll find that a lot of trackers won't accept clients that don't support encryption, though. I suppose that's an issue that can be dealt with if it occurs.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

It's true. Of course it's not the interface itself that causes the pain but Transmission fanboys complaining about it.

It's not like any other programs that are perfectly useful have unMacified interfaces: Shake, Google Earth, Firefox (not defending that piece of junk btw) etc.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

It's true. Of course it's not the interface itself that causes the pain but Transmission fanboys complaining about it.

It's not like any other programs that are perfectly useful have unMacified interfaces: Shake, Google Earth, Firefox (not defending that piece of junk btw) etc.

And I avoid those just as much. Of course, there aren't always alternatives. But in the case of torrents, there are. No, Transmission doesn't have anywhere near the feature set, and in some cases, that's a true deal-breaker (no support for selecting particular files, for instance). But in most cases, Transmission does the job great.

Yes, I'm biased when it comes to Transmission — I was an early adopter when the project just started, and I'm the one handling the nightly builds. But I chose the project over others precisely for the reasons I have stated. It's not without flaw, it's lacking in some areas (encryption, some trackers banning it for policy reasons, etc.), and it needs more work, but I do like the direction where it's going, and do feel that, for most users, it is a great choice. So is Tomato Torrent, which I used before that.

When I need to pick particular files, when I need encryption, when a tracker has the client banned, etc., I'll use Azureus, but not gladly so.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Yes, I'm biased when it comes to Transmission ? I was an early adopter when the project just started, and I'm the one handling the nightly builds. But I chose the project over others precisely for the reasons I have stated. It's not without flaw, it's lacking in some areas (encryption, some trackers banning it for policy reasons, etc.), and it needs more work, but I do like the direction where it's going, and do feel that, for most users, it is a great choice. So is Tomato Torrent, which I used before that.

When I need to pick particular files, when I need encryption, when a tracker has the client banned, etc., I'll use Azureus, but not gladly so.

Have the latest builds fixed the hammering and stat reporting issues?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I like Bits on Wheels.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    So which one sould I go with? Transmission, Tomato or Azureus??? Plz help me to figure out or I die in pain for paying 2 much for Mac softwares!!! And thx
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Whichever you feel most comfortable with. You don't ask complete strangers for fashion advice either, so why would you ask them software advice? It's all about taste.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Don't know much about torrents, but would this app be useful?

http://www.xtorrentp2p.com/
  • Reply 11 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoughBoy

Don't know much about torrents, but would this app be useful?

http://www.xtorrentp2p.com/

Yeah, I use that sometimes and I've had some success. The built-in search is very handy. I don't like how it expires so much though forcing me to download an update.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by louis251

So which one sould I go with? Transmission, Tomato or Azureus??? Plz help me to figure out or I die in pain for paying 2 much for Mac softwares!!!

They're all free so as Chucker said, use which one you like best. Tomato Torrent opens torrents in individual windows, which is really annoying and it is quite flakey at connecting to seeds. Transmission is probably the best simple torrent app so if you just want to download torrents and not be able to have full control over which parts of the torrent you want or the upload and download speeds of all the torrents then it's ok. If you want a program that is stable, is the most reliable at connecting to peers, gives you full control over all your downloading albeit with a slightly unMac-like interface then go with Azureus.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    K cool, thanks all guys!!!
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

They're all free so as Chucker said, use which one you like best. Tomato Torrent opens torrents in individual windows, which is really annoying and it is quite flakey at connecting to seeds. Transmission is probably the best simple torrent app so if you just want to download torrents and not be able to have full control over which parts of the torrent you want or the upload and download speeds of all the torrents then it's ok. If you want a program that is stable, is the most reliable at connecting to peers, gives you full control over all your downloading albeit with a slightly unMac-like interface then go with Azureus.

Does anyone know of a torrent program that will let you do this?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brian00321

Does anyone know of a torrent program that will let you do this?

Azureus