Buy iWork now or wait till 07?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    I, too, am pretty disappointed by Word as a word processor. The line spacing is tricky, especially with footnotes. As far as I can tell, (using iWork '05) you can't decrease the line spacing for footnotes (default is double spaced). To me, this is a huge waste of space and disqualifies Pages for typing school papers.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Danosaur

I, too, am pretty disappointed by Word as a word processor. The line spacing is tricky, especially with footnotes. As far as I can tell, (using iWork '05) you can't decrease the line spacing for footnotes (default is double spaced). To me, this is a huge waste of space and disqualifies Pages for typing school papers.

It can be done (decrease line spacing in Pages for footnotes). I won't elaborate, but THINK inspector.

Anyways... Pages never really was a word processor -- it was a low-end desktop publisher. Pages is more concerned with creating finished looking real-world end products than recording text in a certain way that is generally accepted as the format for a paper.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    To be fair to Apple, Keynote is a fantastic application, but Pages is awful! Keynote is fantastic in it's own right so would justify the money but I would wait till the new Keynote and Pages are out and hopefully Cells/Numbers or a database. Although Excel is a well written program, hard to compete with. I'm sure Apple just wants to make a light program for occasional users though.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCrazy

To be fair to Apple, Keynote is a fantastic application, but Pages is awful! Keynote is fantastic in it's own right so would justify the money but I would wait till the new Keynote and Pages are out and hopefully Cells/Numbers or a database. Although Excel is a well written program, hard to compete with. I'm sure Apple just wants to make a light program for occasional users though.

I disagree about Pages... it is actually quite good. You are trying to use it like a word processor. It is not a word processor so much as it is a consumer desktop publisher app.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    I know what it's designed for and it's lacking some basic features as a word processor and a DTP package. Pages just seems unfinished, which is fair enough seeing how young it is.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    I know it isn't supposed to compete with Word — but it is supposed to compete. Can you imagine someone finally deciding to switch from Microsoft to Apple and chooses to buy iWork over Office? If I had, I'd be very disappointed with Pages.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    I agree completely. Keynote is an exceptional application and beats PowerPoint hands down; even though it has got a confusing bullet point system! Pages on the other hand obviously shows how scared Apple is of competing with InDesign and Word because it doesn't really do any of the features of either very well. I do think iWork '07 will demonstrate where Pages is intended to fit in the market sector.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Where can I get additional templates for Keynote and Pages? Are they beneficial? I like the stock templates but would like more choices.