iTunes 7.0.1 download

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My friend has updated to iTunes 7.0.2 on his Windows PC and can no longer sync his iPod - he's reformatted his iPod but iTunes still has problems with it. As a last resort I was wondering if anyone knew the whereabouts of a iTunes 7.0.1 download.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    tried a different cable? usb port?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer

tried a different cable? usb port?

That is not the problem. The problem lies with iTunes 7.0.2 I've tried everything else already. It works on other computers, it just hasn't worked on the PC since iTunes 7.0.1.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Tell your friend that iTunes 7 is a piece of s*** (maybe the Mac version is fine). Here is where he can get iTunes 6:

http://www.oldversion.com/talk/showthread.php?p=17982

(scroll down to post #5 for the links to the executables) I suffered through using iTunes 7 on my Dell for just over a week before I was fed-up with it and uninstalled it. I'm back to using v.6.0.5.20, and it's working out great.

One more thing. If your friend updated to iTunes 7 from iTunes 6, when you re-install iTunes 6 it will no longer be able to read the "iTunes Library" data file that's found in your "iTunes" folder (usually this is placed in "My Documents\\My Music\\" folder in Win XP. If you try to get iTunes 6 to read this file it will complain that it was created with a later version of iTunes. But there ought to be a back-up of this data file in the "Previous iTunes Libraries\\" folder. It will be called "iTunes Library YYYY-MM-DD". Just copy this data file to the "iTunes\\" folder and rename so as to remove the "YYYY-MM-DD" part. iTunes 6 will then have no problem reading the new library file (you might need to drag and drop the library file into iTunes to get it to recognise the library -- I can't remember whether it recognised the library file automatically when the program re-started or not).

If this seems too involved, you can just re-import your friend's music and not worry about the old library file (just delete it, iTunes will make a new one). The only thing that will be missing is playcounts (which they may not care about).
  • Reply 4 of 9
    If your friend absolutely needs 7.01 (and for the record, I find it is the absolute worst iTunes version ever made) then it can be downloaded from here:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/downlo...tunes-701.aspx
  • Reply 5 of 9
    i have the 80gb video. can i use itunes 6? i downloaded it on my computer and it says i have to have itunes 7 in order to recognize my ipod. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm going CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by socalcanuck

i have the 80gb video. can i use itunes 6? i downloaded it on my computer and it says i have to have itunes 7 in order to recognize my ipod. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm going CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe that the iPod 5.5Gen (the current 30/80GB iPod) and the Shuffle 2Gen both will require iTunes 7. I probably should have thought to mention that in my post above. I'm sorry if this caused anyone further grief (none of us need any further grief when trying to work with iTunes 7).

I would suggest to all that agree that iTunes 7 is a terrible program to tell Apple about it:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Try to be as explicit as possible about what your problems are by describing exactly what you did and how you believe iTunes is misbehaving.

For anyone who was disappointed that the "leave this iPod in the source list" option was removed (as far as I know this was only available for the Shuffle), then remember to mention that to Apple as well.

If we want to keep Apple from releasing s*** like iTunes 7 in the future, we all have to put their asses to the fire when they do mis-step (otherwise they may devolve into MS!). Let them hear your displeasure!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Thank you to everyone who contributed to this problem. In the end my friend just rolled back his computer - iTunes was one of the only updates luckily so it wasn't too tricky. Hopefully TimeMachine will add this feature to Leopard.

On a Mac I've found iTunes 7 to work flawlessly I just disliking the UI and I think it's trying to do too much. It needs simplifying.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    The problem lies with iTunes 7.0.2 I've tried everything else already. It works on other computers, it just hasn't worked on the PC since iTunes 7.0.1.

http://www.ipod-video-converter.com/
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackleo

The problem lies with iTunes 7.0.2 I've tried everything else already. It works on other computers, it just hasn't worked on the PC since iTunes 7.0.1.

http://www.ipod-video-converter.com/

not sure this is entirely relevant! but thanks