Kramer has lost it...

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
This poor sap has lost it. Now THIS is racism...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T7uKvpzVXI

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    Of course you can also watch his apology here

FYI: your post was edited because your language was un-necessary. If you're going to criticize him for his rant (which is your right) you should refrain from sinking to the same level.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    I don't even remember what I said...

It couldn't have been on that level...
  • Reply 3 of 56
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    He isn't even that funny.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    is there a transcript i have trouble understanding him at times or someone paraphase him thanks
  • Reply 5 of 56
    I have seen so many black comidians pop off racial slurs, but god forbid a white man slip up! I think its hilarious.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Irish1978

I have seen so many black comidians pop off racial slurs, but god forbid a white man slip up! I think its hilarious.

Shouting 'nigger, nigger, nigger' at someone as they walk out of your gig ain't 'slipping up', Irish.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Shouting 'nigger, nigger, nigger' at someone as they walk out of your gig ain't 'slipping up', Irish.

gotta agree.. it was pretty inappropriate - and Michael Richards would say the same thing. It was a pretty ugly outburst, but considering how sincere his apology seems, it would be unfortunate if this killed whatever career he has left.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    It's not the point of saying the slur. If it's in a joke form and not aimed at someone in the crowd then it's fine. However it is wholly inappropriate to respond to a patron that way. EVERY comedian faces hecklers and they have to be prepared to deal with the heckler without offending the other patrons. Richards totally screwed up and let his emotions take control.

I don't think this makes him a racist but rather someone who utilized very poor judgement under the passion of the moment. I view racsim as an ideology that encompasses more than just using a slur. When people get angry at someone else they tend to strike at them in the area they think will cause the most emotional pain.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    I'm shocked people are defending him here...this isn't simply off-color humor, this is overtly racist. I consider myself one of the least politically correct people I know but this was way out of line.

In the end this was a great career move for him. Everyone had more or less forgotten his career and now that he has apologized and people are buying it. Any press is good press.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    I think George Lopez put it best when he mentioned it probably had a lot to do with his inexperience as a stand-up comedian. He simply didn't know how to react to the hecklers, and because of it he dealt with it in a defensive and inappropriate way. Had he had more experience, I think he might have used another method to deal with them. Just because some actors are funny doesn't make them comedians...
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Yup...doing standup well is an art. Hell you can make a career out of trashing hecklers in the audience. There are many comedians that people don't heckle because they know what's coming. Extreme embarrassment.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

There are many comedians that people don't heckle because they know what's coming. Extreme embarrassment.

I wouldn't mess with D.L. Hughley...
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

I wouldn't mess with D.L. Hughley...

LOL..that's EXACTLY who I was thinking of. I've seen him

destroy hecklers for 10 minutes straight.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    I dont see the problem.

Are we not entertained?
  • Reply 15 of 56
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    The problem with this is that Richards cannot apologize enough. It doesn't matter what he does, now. He cannot apologize enough. And while this outburst suggests some pretty horrible things about his character, the only thing he can do to fix this is to shut up and disappear for a couple of years.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    This doesn't suggest anything wrong whatsoever with Michael Richards character. If he had done the same thing about Asian people I could see a problem but not with blacks. Sorry, but if you live in New York there are some tensions between blacks and whites, and there is a really bad black subculture and there is nothing wrong with disliking it. If I am around certain ignorant rednecks, I wouldn't like them either. So Kramer was being heckled, and he went with every weapon he had in frustration. Sorry, there is nothing wrong with disliking ghetto black subculture, and if in your anger you confuse people that might not be part of it with some that are, that is forgivable.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spindler

This doesn't suggest anything wrong whatsoever with Michael Richards character. If he had done the same thing about Asian people I could see a problem but not with blacks. Sorry, but if you live in New York there are some tensions between blacks and whites, and there is a really bad black subculture and there is nothing wrong with disliking it. If I am around certain ignorant rednecks, I wouldn't like them either. So Kramer was being heckled, and he went with every weapon he had in frustration. Sorry, there is nothing wrong with disliking ghetto black subculture, and if in your anger you confuse people that might not be part of it with some that are, that is forgivable.

Yeah. I hate it when ghetto subculture people show up at sold-out comedy events.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Disagree. Yelling racial slurs at anyone is a severe blight on one's character. The problem is when Kramer yelled the slurs he wasn't just affecting a bad black subculture he was affecting every person, regardless of color, who doesn't want to be around that kind of hostility.

If he was truly "just" focusing on ghetto black subculture then why didn't he just rant and call them ghetto cheap arse mf'ers or something.

Spindler you're taking your dislike for a culture and trying to use that for justification for your sliding morals.

I'm sure the Nazis only hated the "Bad Jews" but 6 million people later I'm kinda thinking a lot good Jews died. Everything is forgivable depending on the person but that doesn't absolve people like Richards from bringing something ugly to people who just wanted a night out of comedy.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter

Yeah. I hate it when ghetto subculture people show up at sold-out comedy events.

Word.

Also, isn't it time to revisit so called "civil rights" legislation with an eye to the realities of ghetto subculture people? Why should I have to sell a house or give a job to a ghetto subculture person, since I deplore ghetto subculture?

It is totally not a race thing, so don't even start. It is a subculture thng.
  • Reply 20 of 56