Downgraded to itunes 6 but won't recognize ipod!!! HELP!!!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The title says it all. PLEASE HELP!!! iTunes 7 totally forze on me and I haven't been able to open it for over a month. I finally read a blog on AppleInsider from someone with the same problem. I followed the instructions; uninstalled version 7, installed version 6 but it won't recognized my ipod because it was sync on version 7. I tried to restore it with an updater but in vain... no version will recognize my ipod. Grrrrrrrr!!!! this is REALLLLLLY frustrating! I'm really really bad with computers. I don't have the knowledge nor the patience to deal with this. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance for any kind of help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Are you on a Mac or in Windows? And have you tried resetting the iPod?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I'm on Windows and yes I tried to reset the ipod. Actually, I even tried to restore my ipod but none of the updaters recognizes the version 7 installed on my ipod as version 7 as its own updater included and since i can't open itunes 7, i'm screwed...!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I know you downgraded to iTunes 6, but maybe you should reinstall 7 and give it a shot.

Sorry I'm not more help. Maybe someone who's familiar with Windows can help. I haven't really used it in any depth for several years.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    thanks ricksbrain! i've installed and uninstalled version 7 more times than I can remember! I'm soooo fed up with this. I actually called apple support and THEY couldn't even help me!!! I used to have a Gigabeat and I am starting to regret the move! Thanks for your help though...!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by socalcanuck

The title says it all. PLEASE HELP!!! iTunes 7 totally forze on me and I haven't been able to open it for over a month. I finally read a blog on AppleInsider from someone with the same problem. I followed the instructions; uninstalled version 7, installed version 6 but it won't recognized my ipod because it was sync on version 7. I tried to restore it with an updater but in vain... no version will recognize my ipod. Grrrrrrrr!!!! this is REALLLLLLY frustrating! I'm really really bad with computers. I don't have the knowledge nor the patience to deal with this. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance for any kind of help!

I posted a response on the other thread that you asked this question:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=68747

The gist: I think that the 5.5Gen iPod does require iTunes 7.