Apple ships some 17-inch Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    anyone here with the new 17 C2D have tried to run the smcFanControl application?

http://www.conscius.de/%7Eeidac/soft...ge5/page5.html

I'm getting a "unsupported machine" message. I want to know if anybody could run it successfully to figure out if this is an issue of the application or from my particular machine... (which I don't think it is)...
  • Reply 42 of 57
    I got the same message on smcFanControl, so, I installed Fan Control instead. Works like a charm!
  • Reply 43 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Normally, I would only recommend matte. But I read an article, or review, that said that the Mac Books glossy screen wasn't as glossy as PC screens, and that it looked very good, with richer colors and sharper edges, while not being too subject to reflections, under most conditions.

Well I've been debating about it and a lot of people seem to LOVE the glossy screens. I've seen people who do photoshopping and still use the glossy screens (I don't know if their color accuracy really matters though). Anyways, the way I figure it, if you are going to be mostly playing and some work on the laptop and do major work on your desktop, get the glossy. Or, if you have a 23" or 30" Apple Cinema Display, get the glossy, you can just hook it up to the ACD and you'll still have that color accuracy.

As for me, I'm going to be selling my iMac G5 and buying a iMac C2D when Santa Rosa and Leopard come out. So, I won't have a desktop for much longer.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    bodebode Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kfdan

I got the same message on smcFanControl, so, I installed Fan Control instead. Works like a charm!

I got an answer about smcFanControl app. He said it's not supported yet. He gave me a beta version that actually works... so at least I'm sure now it's not an issue with my particular machine... sweet
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Today was the day!! I finally bought a 17" MBP and everything seems a-ok. No screen problems, no gap, the battery is a little loose though? Did anyone notice a squeaking sound coming from the battery moving in it's slot?
  • Reply 46 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NarutoSasuke

Today was the day!! I finally bought a 17" MBP and everything seems a-ok. No screen problems, no gap, the battery is a little loose though? Did anyone notice a squeaking sound coming from the battery moving in it's slot?

Same here... Just got home from Lab and took a shait... the bell rang... TNT w my 17" standard setup... its perfect in all ways... much better then all my other 17" books... fast, cool, silent perfect!!
  • Reply 47 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r0ssi9

Same here... Just got home from Lab and took a shait... the bell rang... TNT w my 17" standard setup... its perfect in all ways... much better then all my other 17" books... fast, cool, silent perfect!!

TMI? seriously
  • Reply 48 of 57
    I received my on tuesday and it is in perfect condition and runs great.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    I'd like to order the 17" MBP Merom with 100GB 7200rpm. What's the best avenue to upgrade the memory to 3GB?
  • Reply 50 of 57
    Quick question, I was at work when I opened and started it and there was no internet connection at work, so I chose "This computer does not connect to the Internet." at the Mac startup screen.

Of course, I do have a small network at home, I have an iMac G5 connected through Cable Modem using a CAT-5 cable. For some reason though, my MacBook Pro 17" doesn't want to play nice and it won't let me look at my iMac G5 files...

When I bought my MacBook Pro 15" everything went fine and I had no problem with File Sharing. Can someone help me?
  • Reply 51 of 57
    Actually, nevermind. I learned some new stuff using ssh on the Terminal and I figured out that I needed to turn AppleTalk on and I had the AppleTalk on when using Airport, that's when it used to be in my room. Now, it's directly connected via Cable Modem, so I have to use the "Ethernet" option and changed some settings and it's all fixed now.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Many of you have seen me moan about the "one thing and then another" lines from Apple that I have had in regards to recieving my C2D 17" MBP, well, it's happened again today on the day I was looking forward to getting it!!!

I am just about spitting blood with rage, I can't believe in the modern Western world it takes OVER a month to get a laptop made and shipped from China to UK. It was due here today and now I have learned that it will certainly NOT be here today, or tomorrow, or the next day but Monday.

I feel sick that so many of you {almost ALL of you?} have your shiney new babies! Its been a complete farce and I feel very sour towards Apple for this carry-on. How many more people have to get theirs before I actually get my hands on mine? I have to point out, I ordered mine a matter of minutes after the site went back up on that (now distant) 24th October

I have been promised delivery on 23rd....24th...25th...26th...and now they "say" 27th.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    OWC is a good supplier of ram if you need a 2 gigger! I've been dealing with them for years = never a disappointment.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BJNY

I'd like to order the 17" MBP Merom with 100GB 7200rpm. What's the best avenue to upgrade the memory to 3GB?

OWC is where to want to look!
  • Reply 55 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tartansparkle

Many of you have seen me moan about the "one thing and then another" lines from Apple that I have had in regards to recieving my C2D 17" MBP, well, it's happened again today on the day I was looking forward to getting it!!!

I have been promised delivery on 23rd....24th...25th...26th...and now they "say" 27th.

You should not be mad - in the UK the expected delivery dates for the new MBP 17" in March 2007!! how crazy is that!!!..6 months after the release they say stock will be on an even keel. Sure there are some in the UK but for example John Lewis store are gettin only 20 models before february 2007 and they are all preordered.

You may feel annoyed having to wait a month but UK customers are facing a 6 month wait...I have mentioned this time and time again on this forum and no-one seems bothered by it...Am I the only UK person in these forums??
  • Reply 56 of 57
    Hey tintin, you can certainly get a mbp 17inch much sooner than that if you order directly from apple. Or if you live somewhere close to an apple store you can get it from there. I think it's just the 3rd party retailers that are behind.
  • Reply 57 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tartansparkle

I am just about spitting blood with rage, I can't believe in the modern Western world it takes OVER a month to get a laptop made and shipped from China to UK. It was due here today and now I have learned that it will certainly NOT be here today, or tomorrow, or the next day but Monday.

I feel sick that so many of you {almost ALL of you?} have your shiney new babies! Its been a complete farce and I feel very sour towards Apple for this carry-on. How many more people have to get theirs before I actually get my hands on mine? I have to point out, I ordered mine a matter of minutes after the site went back up on that (now distant) 24th October

Had you done your research before buying immediately after they announced the core 2 duo, you would have known that they weren't going to start shipping the 17 inch MBP until the 7th of November. Meaning it would be hard to get it in October for starters. Meaning that you haven't been waiting a month for shipping. Meaning that you've been waiting for 3 months to buy this notebook and you're going to blow a fuse over a few more weeks?

I also ordered mine internationally (on the 10 of November) - I'm in Madrid (that's in Spain, the country south of the UK where the British still occupy a territory) - and also from an education store. It's also a custom order and I'm going to have to wait a few weeks for it to arrive (Dec. 1) from Shanghai just like everyone else.

The point is, the western world isn't all that it's cracked up to be and the speed of technology is driving us all mad when we can't get things when we absolutely want them. So instead of taking it out on the people reading posts in this forum (eg. "ignorant ****" in your first post), take it up with Apple and demand some form of reimbursement. Just rest assured that this American knows where Scotland is located on a map, having ancestors from Wales (also part of the UK).