Microsoft XBOX360 Live Marketplace is pwn3d!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
They released HD movies for downloads- I think today (?), and you can barely access the download screen (15 minute load time) just to confirm the download much less download anything. People on the msoft forum are reporting huge download times for movies taking an indeterminate amount of time to actually complete a movie as of right now.

too bad too.. I was bored and going to download the road warrior for fun.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Temporary problems will no doubt last forever! THIS WILL BE THE END OF MICROSOFT! LOLZ!
  • Reply 2 of 14
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    \ ..........

Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat

Temporary problems will no doubt last forever! THIS WILL BE THE END OF MICROSOFT! LOLZ!

• Reply 3 of 14
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I like this thread. I will sleep in it. Zzzz.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Um, I went to it the day it came out, and no delay time. I like that they are allowing the downloads in HD. On iTunes you can only download in "near dvd quality"

But atleast on iTunes, you own the movie, in microsoft, you are only renting the movie.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    AAPL will offer HD movies shortly I believe. Remember last MacWorld the almighty Steve Jobs said that 2006 was the year for hi definition? Perhaps it got bumped back to 2007, but he also said the iTV will broadcast in HD if I am not mistaken. This clearly means they will offer HD movies somehow somewhere someplace....
  • Reply 6 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by playcrackthesky

Um, I went to it the day it came out, and no delay time. I like that they are allowing the downloads in HD. On iTunes you can only download in "near dvd quality"

But atleast on iTunes, you own the movie, in microsoft, you are only renting the movie.

I would love to download HD movies. However (not just saying cause it's Microsoft) download times would take far too long, it would cause too much confusion with the general populous, and it would actively inhibit the growth of movie downloads and the adoption rate of such services. If everyone using the web had 15Mb+ guaranteed broadband speeds, then it would be a different matter. The worlds not ready for HD downloads yet, it's that simple. So Apple chose a decent looking comprimise with ok download speeds to get everyone used to the concept of movie downloads, and to get the ball rolling.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuencap

AAPL will offer HD movies shortly I believe. Remember last MacWorld the almighty Steve Jobs said that 2006 was the year for hi definition? Perhaps it got bumped back to 2007, but he also said the iTV will broadcast in HD if I am not mistaken. This clearly means they will offer HD movies somehow somewhere someplace....

Don't take in everything Jobs says, cause he could have meant anything by that. To see is too believe. If Apple could give reliable, fast HD downloads they would have already. Don't forget the movies and videos play on the iPod too.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    http://news.com.com/2100-1043_3-6138...-0-5&subj=news

Seems the problems are beyond "demand" problems. Looks like it is the result of half baked software. Something Microsoft has been increasingly known to be delivering.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    So I downloaded V for Vendetta in HD on my XBOX360.

The download took about 25-30 minutes. Not too bad.

But! When I watched the movie- it did not seem much different than watching a DVD in visual quality... still not a big deal. It looked fine.

Now on to the worst problem- they do something odd to the volume level-

when people talk you have to increase the volume just so you can hear wtf Hugo is saying- only to quickly turn it down when there is any action because the decibel level increases dramatically. It is sort of like watching TV with the commercials blaring when they come on.

Pretty lame.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR

So I downloaded V for Vendetta in HD on my XBOX360.

The download took about 25-30 minutes. Not too bad.

But! When I watched the movie- it did not seem much different than watching a DVD in visual quality... still not a big deal. It looked fine.

Now on to the worst problem- they do something odd to the volume level-

when people talk you have to increase the volume just so you can hear wtf Hugo is saying- only to quickly turn it down when there is any action because the decibel level increases dramatically. It is sort of like watching TV with the commercials blaring when they come on.

Pretty lame.

Thats weird, when I downloaded Rat Race it took half a hour to download 5 percent! I didnt get to see how long it took to finish becuase I went to bed. But when I woke up it was finished.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    I have a 6MB DL from comcast.... but I don't mind waiting for the DL to complete- the volume blaring and then going subsonic over and over is BS though. And advertising HD is questionable as well.

I initially tried to DL untouchables for fun- but that got to 116k and halted and charged me points like it did to everyone on launch- but they seemed to improve the serving of video. too bad what you get blows dogs for quarters.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Well, sure sounds like a good ol' Microshaft experience. WTF. Enjoy, suckaaas!!! muaha hahhaa ha haha