Macworld San Francisco 2007

Comments

• Reply 41 of 256
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 42 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green

In Pages I'd like to see a feature allowing publishing of documents to a hard bound book just like we can do with iPhoto. Why is it that we can publish picture books but we can't publish books from Pages documents? This ought to be resolved.

If you wanted to do this now you could export your documents as a PDF then import them into iPhoto and send them off for printing. There are some little issues you'd have to resolve, and your book would be kinda wide, but it can be done.
  • Reply 43 of 256
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    iTV and a refreshed line of Macs capable of streaming content to it.

That's all I'm tuning in to see...credit card waiting...
  • Reply 44 of 256
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy

iTV and a refreshed line of Macs capable of streaming content to it.

That's all I'm tuning in to see...credit card waiting...

All new Mac's have 802.11n chips (worst kept secret in Apple's history, on purpose) capable of streming beautifully to iTV, and that functionality could possibly be unlocked with a software update, though I'm hedging my bets that you'll have to buy Leoaprd to get this without a hack. Don't care though cause I'll be getting Leopard anyway.

One thing that hasn't been talked about much lately is Apple's next Cinema displays:

Two things we just know, iSight's built-in for definite, and IR sensors built-in for definite. But,

1. How thin will they be?

2. What ports will they have?

3. What sizes will they come in?

4. Will they be height adjustable?

5. Will they have thinner bezels?

6. How much will they cost?

7. Will they have iMac-esque hidden speakers built-in under the display?

(not for the audio pro, but just for the general user who can afford one of those Mac Pro beasts).
  • Reply 45 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skwidspawn

If you wanted to do this now you could export your documents as a PDF then import them into iPhoto and send them off for printing. There are some little issues you'd have to resolve, and your book would be kinda wide, but it can be done.

I appreciate the guidance for text-base book making through iPhoto. I'm not looking for a workaround for the problem, rather additional functionality in iLife 07 that would bring the book printing feature right to Pages. I know that printers are getting more and more advanced every year, yet I have not seen one that will take a text document and make it look as nice as a hard bound book composed in iPhoto. The text versions would have to allow for more pages to be printed, obviously creating thicker books, but printed text is cheaper than photos to imprint, so financially it shouldn't be that bad. It's just a feature I'd like to see brought to Pages that I know Apple wouldn't mess up.

As for all those people out there asking that Pages be more like a word processor, I'm fine with that, provided it doesn't lose any page layout functionality, or ease of use. I happen to like it just the way it is right now.
  • Reply 46 of 256
    I'm thinking a totally redesigned iMac (it's going to be what?? 3 years with the current design?) , iPod 6gen, iPhone, iTV, and just to tweak m$ and bill gates' nose, Leopard goes on sale that day.
  • Reply 47 of 256
    Mike: The MacBook Pro gets first dibs.

MacBook Pro Details:

? 4-year-old design. The present design of the MacBook Pro was actually debuted at MacWorld in 2003.

? Hard drive is not user replaceable like the MacBook

? MacBook has a better latching convention

? MacBook Pro has limited screen opening angle

? MacBook Pro needs better displays
  • Reply 48 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755

Mike: The MacBook Pro gets first dibs.

MacBook Pro Details:

? 4-year-old design. The present design of the MacBook Pro was actually debuted at MacWorld in 2003.

? Hard drive is not user replaceable like the MacBook

? MacBook has a better latching convention

? MacBook Pro has limited screen opening angle

? MacBook Pro needs better displays

None of these are really high priority. Just little things that would be nice. There is really nothing wrong with the design of the MacBook Pro, and if you look at it over the past four years, it actually has changed quite a bit; It's just been silver the entire time. There is a big difference between design change and color my friend.
  • Reply 49 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

There is really nothing wrong with the design of the MacBook Pro

Ahem, that's a great matter of opinion, my friend. I take exception to the fact that I need to remove 18 screws and a half hour to disassemble most of the computer to get at the hard drive - just to replace it. That's just plain asinine, especially when its less expensive cousin, the MacBook, has a very easy to replace hard drive. It's really a kick in the teeth for all the money one spends on Apple's pro notebook that it has a mediocre screen that can be darker on one side and brighter on another, and has very limited viewing angles. Then to top it all off, the limited opening angle of the display makes it difficult to work with in certain circumstances; a limitation you'd be hard pressed to find on nearly any other notebook on the market. So with that, and the fact that it's a 4-year-old design that's past due for a radical overhaul, the time is right and frankly, it needs to be done.
  • Reply 50 of 256
    Just remember: This is Microsoft's biggest announcement in 5 years. Jobs and Apple won't want to give it to them easy.

Now's their chance to really blow people away. The more publicity they can suck away from Vista the better.
  • Reply 51 of 256
    Quote:

Ahem, that's a great matter of opinion, my friend. I take exception to the fact that I need to remove 18 screws and a half hour to disassemble most of the computer to get at the hard drive - just to replace it. That's just plain asinine, especially when its less expensive cousin, the MacBook, has a very easy to replace hard drive. It's really a kick in the teeth for all the money one spends on Apple's pro notebook that it has a mediocre screen that can be darker on one side and brighter on another, and has very limited viewing angles. Then to top it all off, the limited opening angle of the display makes it difficult to work with in certain circumstances; a limitation you'd be hard pressed to find on nearly any other notebook on the market. So with that, and the fact that it's a 4-year-old design that's past due for a radical overhaul, the time is right and frankly, it needs to be done.

How often do you go about replacing hard drives? Something that should never happen (I understand that it does), hardly constitutes a design flaw that it is slightly more difficult to fix. Yes it could be done relatively easy, but its really not that big of a deal. I'm sure it will happen, it's just not a priority.

The MacBook Pro's screen has very good viewing angles, better than many laptops. The problem is that the screen does not tilt back as far is it should, but thats not viewing angles. But again, not a huge problem, as most people don't have their laptop open at a 170 degree angle.

And again, the MacBook Pro's screen is brighter than many others.
  • Reply 52 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Advent

Just remember: This is Microsoft's biggest announcement in 5 years. Jobs and Apple won't want to give it to them easy.

Now's their chance to really blow people away. The more publicity they can suck away from Vista the better.

Yes, but if they are not ready, they are not ready. They won't release it just to be around the same time as Microsoft. It's hard to release an OS, might I remind you, when some "Top Secret" features haven't even been publicly beta tested. At MWSF, I except a lot of information about Mac OS X Leopard has Microsoft will be shipping windows within the month, and the information alone will steal Vista's thunder. Leopard probably won't be officially announced/released until Feb/March, possible April. Also might I remind you that with virtually all OS releases, it is announced at least 3-4 week prior to shipping.
  • Reply 53 of 256
    How many times does a MacBook owner replace their hard drive? Probably not as much a MacBook Pro user might, yet they still have by far easier access than the pro user.

I have gone through three defective MacBook Pros. All three of them returned. I am not getting another one until they change the design. The viewing angle on the display is far more limited than you would lead one to believe. But more importantly, the quality of the display SUCKS. Uneven illumination. Sure it may be brighter...but brighter in one area. The whole thing really pisses me off quite frankly. How can you defend a notebook whose screen only opens 120°? I cannot think of another laptop with this degree of limitation. This and the extremely difficult access to the hard drive are major design flaws.
  • Reply 54 of 256
    Null.
  • Reply 55 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

Hmmm... you say the Macbook Pro doesn't go past 120˚ and yet you seem to imply the Macbook does. I could be wrong with this one but it seems my Macbook doesn't go past that mark either.

It opens slightly further because the hinge is closer to the top of the base where as the MBP's is lower. I think this hinge design is *very* limiting. The Titanium PowerBook despite hinges that would crack or break on some models, had a hinge that could go back the full 180° and had a user removeable hard drive.
  • Reply 56 of 256
    Quote:

How many times does a MacBook owner replace their hard drive? Probably not as much a MacBook Pro user might, yet they still have by far easier access than the pro user.

I have gone through three defective MacBook Pros. All three of them returned. I am not getting another one until they change the design. The viewing angle on the display is far more limited than you would lead one to believe. But more importantly, the quality of the display SUCKS. Uneven illumination. Sure it may be brighter...but brighter in one area. The whole thing really pisses me off quite frankly. How can you defend a notebook whose screen only opens 120°? I cannot think of another laptop with this degree of limitation. This and the extremely difficult access to the hard drive are major design flaws.

What do you do, drop your laptop? Assuming you treat your laptop properly, none should have failed. I know many people with MacBook Pro's and theirs haven't failed, I can't see why your's would fail at a rate three times greater.

The max hinge angle is NOT the max viewing angle; Get that straight. The maximum viewing angle is the angle for which you can view the screen at when you move yourself in any direction. When something has a 170 degree viewing angle (i.e. most camera LCDs advertise this) it means your eyes can be at a 170 degree angle with the flat surface of the LCD and still see the image on the LCD clearly. Hinge angle does not NEED to be greater than 120 degrees. Sure it is slightly limiting, but it is NOT a big deal, and can certainly not be classified as a "flaw".

Second, my sister's MacBook Pro LCD is very nice: evenly bright (and very bright), and might I remind you that theses screens are HD. I have no complaint with the screen itself.

About the hard drive... the comparison you are using is pointless. The purpose of a MacBook Pro is to stay working, so the fact that replacing the hard drive is hard(er) to do than the MacBook hardly constitutes a flaw. The hard drive shouldn't fail under the reasonable lifespan of the laptop, and on the occasion that it does, who cares about an extra 20 minutes of work? True they COULD make it easier to replace, but it is not a flaw that they haven't. Also, you probably don't know much of anything about laptop design, and my guess is that making the hard drive easily accessible in the MacBook Pro's current general design is very hard.
  • Reply 57 of 256
    Null.
  • Reply 58 of 256
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Why on earth would anyone need a display to tilt back more than 120°? If you're a very tall person in a tall chair with a short desk, maybe I can see it, but wouldn't that cause considerable neck strain anyway. I'd think such a person would seek some other kind of ergonomic adjustment. On your lap, I still don't see the need for any more than 120°. Seems like this is being argued just for the sake of arguing; not because it's a real issue.

Given that the MacBook Pro is due for a design update at some point, perhaps this would be addressed, but I wouldn't count on it. My guess is that Apple will shoot for lighter, cooler, faster and thinner well before worrying about screen angle.
  • Reply 59 of 256
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    In the future eventually.. Apple will have even simpler choices for their products, enabling buying one as easy as brushing your teeth. In particular notebooks. The Pro and consumer products will merge. You will have a choice of about two speeds (fast or very fast), 3 display size, materials (plastic or steel), and colors.

So when in a store you'll be shown 3 sizes, and you'll be asked what size you want. Then you'll be shown a few books in that size of different materials and colors, and asked what one you like. All the colored ones will be the same cost (he he), and the metal ones you will be told are more durable, but cost a little more. You wont choose the RAM as that will come in only one spec and wont be upgradable (it will be so high, that you'll never use it all). A few choices for GPU, depending on what you will be doing with your book, and what you may do with it in the future. Then you're done. They could call it the MacBook, and you choose what you want.

So then you could make your computer look pro or not, be big or small, be fast or very fast, be black, white or other colors you may want, be metal or plastic. You get what you want, cause you choose - from a list of high quality products in various powers, sizes or colors.
  • Reply 60 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

How often do you go about replacing hard drives? Something that should never happen (I understand that it does), hardly constitutes a design flaw that it is slightly more difficult to fix. Yes it could be done relatively easy, but its really not that big of a deal. I'm sure it will happen, it's just not a priority.

The MacBook Pro's screen has very good viewing angles, better than many laptops. The problem is that the screen does not tilt back as far is it should, but thats not viewing angles. But again, not a huge problem, as most people don't have their laptop open at a 170 degree angle.

And again, the MacBook Pro's screen is brighter than many others.

icfireball - I can't say I agree with you here. I think we ought to be able to replace hard drives without having a technician do it. I have a MBP with a 100GB hard drive in it. I have less than 17GB free. I can't change out the hard drive because I'm over here in the Middle East and I'd have to be without my laptop for a month including shipping simply because Apple doesn't have user swapable hard drives. Just because YOU don't need to swap out your hard drive doesn't mean you speak for me or others. The MacBook has this feature and the new MBP had better have this feature. It IS a design flaw when the hard drive is the thing that fails most often (I've lost three in Pro Apple laptops). I hope you never have a hard drive fail because it sucks. I hope you never have one fail after the other. That sucks more. And I hope you never have them fail several hundred miles from the nearest city when you really need your laptop. EVERY pro computer Apple currently ships has hard drives that are easily swapped out, aside from one. The MBP MUST have this functionality. THose that don't use it won't worry about it. Those that NEED it, are willing to pay for that functionality.