G4 iMac problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a G4 iMac running at 700Mhz and had as original equipment a Sony CD-RW and a 40 Gb hard drive... I got a Superdrive upgrade from Other World Computing (need to call them still) and installed it... But now it does not recognize the superdrive upgrade or the hard drive... I tried zapping the PRAM but no luck... I also took out the Superdrive and put it back together and it still did not recognize the hard drive. Did I miss something simple? Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Make sure the master/slave settings for the HD and SuperDrive don't conflict.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benzene

Make sure the master/slave settings for the HD and SuperDrive don't conflict.

Thanks! How would I make sure?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    The master/slave configuration is set by the position of jumpers on the back of the physical drive. (see here)

Set the HD to "master" and the SuperDrive to "slave". The existing drive(s) might be set to "CS" or "Cable Select" as defined by the position on the IDE cable. I personally never trust the CS setting, and always hard-set them to master and slave.

Hope it's this simple.

p.s. There isn't really any difference operationally speaking about the "master" and "slave" configurations. They will both operate at the same speed, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benzene

The master/slave configuration is set by the position of jumpers on the back of the physical drive. (see here)

Set the HD to "master" and the SuperDrive to "slave". The existing drive(s) might be set to "CS" or "Cable Select" as defined by the position on the IDE cable. I personally never trust the CS setting, and always hard-set them to master and slave.

Hope it's this simple.

p.s. There isn't really any difference operationally speaking about the "master" and "slave" configurations. They will both operate at the same speed, etc.

Thanks again!