ipod VS zune

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
although the title seems like a topic to bash on the new zune, that is not the type of information i wanted to see. i had a question about the new zunes and would like to know more information about them. so please, no zune/microsoft bashing.

anyways, my question is this. i uploaded about 14gbs of music onto my 5.5g 80gb ipod which took about 40 to 45 minutes, which would translate to about 8 to 10MBps?

Some of my co-workers were given zunes as demos and used one of the demo computers in the store to upload their music. they all uploaded 28gbs of music onto their zunes in about 10 minutes.

i was using my ibook g4 (1.43ghz) laptop while they used an intel core 2 duo hp desktop. both were usb 2.0, and from the research i've done so far, both the ipod and zune use the same hard drives made by by toshiba.

my best guess is that the software of the zune allows songs to be transfered from the computer to the player at disgusting speeds OR the computer was allowing the songs to be transfered as fast as they were for the zune.

so my question is, why were the zunes able to upload that many songs that fast?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    zune zune zune

yeah that was lame.

But really I have no idea. It it takes a while for my iPod to load my entire library. I'm not sure how long since I've only done it maybe twice in the 10 months I've owned my iPod. Maybe it's becasue iTunes is slower due to album art and gapless playback determination? I don't know. Are you sure these zuners weren't lying about their transfer times?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    You can look this professional iPod Zune Convert software site:

There are some Zune software and user guides

hope it is useful to u!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
  • Reply 4 of 16
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sungjin3e

Compare the compression of the two types of compression. If the compression is lower on the Zune then it would be faster
  • Reply 5 of 16
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

Compare the compression of the two types of compression. If the compression is lower on the Zune then it would be faster

I'm not sure if this is also what Feynman means, but you should also check that you don't have the option "Convert higher bitrate songs to 128 kbps AAC for this iPod" selected, as this will certainly affect the upload times to the iPod.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I find that the zune does/tries to do full sync's more than once and sometimes hangs up "a little". I purchased the brown version which i really like. I do rather enjoy the "all you can eat" feature of the zune music player. I have been downloading music that I wouldn't normally pay for. I am using the 14 day free trial to see if I actually want to keep this feature or not.

The device is a tad bit bigger than the video ipod, but not much (I have both by the way).

The wireless feature sharing is kinda neat. One of my co-workers has a black zune and we share music and photos offices apart from one another. Its rather neat to see my buddy pop up during work wanting to share a picture or music. Say what you want, but when you see it, you cant help but think its cool.

The Zune Marketplace has a loooong way to go though. The categories of music are no way up to snuff like on iTunes. Hopefully they will make some headway into this. Also, I miss user reviews on iTunes. I always enjoyed reading some of these.

One place that M$ has a leg up on Apple is the media center/sharing. With the Xbox 360, I am able to use one login as my Zune and get all my content, stream my music from my PC to my TV along w/ my pictures and video ( I did this for thanksgiving and the Grandparents loved it). Also, now I can use the same account and rent HD movies off the Xbox live marketplace and watch for up to 14 days. Its actually cheaper for a SD movie than Blockbuster.

Problem is, M$ does a crappy job of advertising all these neat features and a $hitty job of making it easy to accomplish. However, with that said, Apple really needs to get on the ball and bring these features to the home.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    The only thing I needed to know about Zune is that it's not supported by Vista.... wtf?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OBJRA10

The only thing I needed to know about Zune is that it's not supported by Vista.... wtf?

Well thats sorta true. Visa is only at RC2 right now except to customers who have MSDN accounts (I have a corporate VLA aggrement). So the general public does not have access.

So why release software for a Release Candidate? It makes a great HAHA, but in reality its the only move.

Zune will be supported on Vista when its released to consumers in January.

Why do people keep saying its not supported by Vista? Vista isn't out yet, its like saying the Zune isn't supported by flying monkeys w/ pitch forks. \
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308

Well thats sorta true. Visa is only at RC2 right now except to customers who have MSDN accounts (I have a corporate VLA aggrement). So the general public does not have access.

So why release software for a Release Candidate? It makes a great HAHA, but in reality its the only move.

Why do people keep saying its not supported by Vista? Vista isn't out yet, its like saying the Zune isn't supported by flying monkeys w/ pitch forks. \

Except that on their system requirements page it clearly says that "Windows Vista is not supported."

I'm not knocking them on a technical issue, I'm saying it's crappy marketing. If no one has Vista, why say it at all.

And it's not like saying that at all, because there are no flying monkeys w/pitch forks on the horizon, preparing their imminent landing, upon which the entire future of a company rests.

It's pretty simple. Vista and Zune are deal breakers for Microsoft. To make a public statement that the two are incompatible is just really, really bad marketing. Plus, it's not unheard of for a company to release hardware that is going to be compatible with future software... how many companies touted that their laptops and desktops are "Vista Ready." Microsoft is basically perpetuating a marketing story that says their own new toy isn't.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sungjin3e

Probably a combination of factors. For example, OS X's USB 2.0 stack is rather slow compared to Windows's.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308

well vista is "out" insofar as they let people download it and use it as their main os. in fact, the people i would expect to seek out the zune rather than the ipod are people who are microsoft fans and more likely to have vista installed than the average ipod user.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium

well vista is "out" insofar as they let people download it and use it as their main os. in fact, the people i would expect to seek out the zune rather than the ipod are people who are microsoft fans and more likely to have vista installed than the average ipod user.

The RTM is "out" for MSDN subscribers. Sure anyone can download RC2 and use it for their main OS, but its not mainstream and not supported.

I would have to disagree on the M$ fans only having Vista. I am by no means a M$ fan, however, it is my job to administer over 2000+ machines. I happen to have iPods, Macs, XP, and Vista at my house.

At work I am known as the Apple fanboy and on here, perhaps the M$ fanboy. Either way, I believe both devices have their ups and downs. Some may disagree.

I do agree w/ the Mod that M$ is doing/has done a horrible marketing job. I think they did it w/ Media Center and the same w/ the Zune. WTF is up with the points system? Why do I have to first by a minimum of $5 chunks of M$ bucks? Thats insane.

PS

I have the Zune marketplace running on my Dell laptop w/ the RTM version of Vista. Sure I had to make the necessary mods w/ Orca and then run in XP compatiblity mode but hey I was bored over the weekend.

Please be kind
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton

I thought Vista was "officially" being released for businesses in December.

Nah it was released this month.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    thanks for everyone that answered. i found my answer at http://www.barefeats.com/usb2.html. it is pretty close to what chucker said. pretty much, mac doesn't utilize usb 2.0 to it's full potential. i guess they want to promote firewire. so they should give firewire cables along with usb 2.0!!