How about jacking a quad Core2duo in an iMac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
could it be done? will it gain much ?

I've got a core2duo 24" iMac.... I'm very happy with it but when working on HDV projects in FCE it still needs to render for hours and hours on DVD type projects...

so somewhere down the line, an upgrade would be kinda cool.

I'm wondering the same thing about the graphics chip.

I got the 7300 because I hadn't the time to wait for BTO 7600.

anyone know whether these things are soldered on or should be possible to upgrade (voiding warranty or not)

Cheers,

Yvo

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~ufo~

could it be done?

No. There is not, and will not be, a quad-core version of the Merom CPU.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

No. There is not, and will not be, a quad-core version of the Merom CPU.

hhhmmm.... I thought the 64 bit 2.16 core2duo in my iMac wasn't a meron actually, or was at least pin compatible with the quad core2duos that have recently been released.

I could be very wrong though, I oft am.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~ufo~

hhhmmm.... I thought the 64 bit 2.16 core2duo in my iMac wasn't a meron actually, or was at least pin compatible with the quad core2duos that have recently been released.

I could be very wrong though, I oft am.

Merom does offer 64 bit code compatibility. The offered clock speeds and FSB are exactly the same as Merom. The whole enclosure's thermal management was designed around the Yonah chip. There's no indication that the C2D iMac has a Conroe, everything points to Merom.

the Kentsfield quad also has a TDP that's over 3x that of Merom as well, about twice that of Conroe. Even if you could, I don't think it would work that well given how tight the iMac is inside.