DVDs won't mount or play, CDs will.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem.

I have a quicksilver G4 - dual 1 gig. I'm using OS 10.4.8 The superdrive is a Pioneer DVD-RW

A few weeks ago, I noticed that DVDs will no longer mount. I get system upgrades as they become available, I don't know if that was a factor in the appearance of this gremlin.

I have cleaned the superdrive using a cleaning disk (did that several times.) CDs mount and play fine, including audio and data CDs.

DVDs will not mount or play - neither rented movies, data DVDs I've made or home movie DVDs we've made. These all played before just fine. The same DVDs play fine on my husband's G5.

I read in apple's knowledgebase about how you can get this problem if you have multiple DVD drivers in one's extension folder, but I didn't think that OS 10 used an extension folder.

I can't boot from the Tiger 10.4 install DVD holding down the C key upon startup.

I had Norton Systemworks installed but I uninstalled it.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions of how to fix this, if it's fixable. I don't want to buy a new superdrive only to find out that it's a software problem.

Help, please! And thanks in advance ...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I've had the same problem for a long time now with my G5's internal Superdrive. Can't burn a damn disc of any variety, but it reads them just fine. Praise the Flying Spaghetti Monster that I have an external CD-R/DVD-R drive, or I'd be sunk.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    May the FSM and his noodly appendage have mercy on mine. I can neither burn nor play. Do you think it's a software or hardware issue? What kind of CD/DVD drive did you buy as an external?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kwint

May the FSM and his noodly appendage have mercy on mine. I can neither burn nor play. Do you think it's a software or hardware issue? What kind of CD/DVD drive did you buy as an external?

It is a Pioneer marketed as a LaCie brand. It's a few years old, don't think my model has been sold for a while.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I have cleaned the superdrive using a cleaning disk (did that several times.) CDs mount and play fine, including audio and data CDs.

Cleaning discs are somewhat of a scam anyway. They often tend to do damage as they might clean. I do happen to have one but won't use it unless the drive is written off as junk anyway.

I would suggest checking out Macsales.com, they sell drive replacements and upgrades.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I'll take a look at Macsales, thanks. The LaCie 16x +-RW internal drive currently offered at the Apple store got horrible reviews from users, I think I'll steer clear of that.

Re: my non-working superdrive (DVD-RW DVR-104) I read somewhere that a manual cleaning might help as a last resort. Does anyone have suggestions or a link to information on how to do a manual cleaning? It seems that the drive is hopeless as it is.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I'll take a look at Macsales, thanks. The LaCie 16x +-RW internal drive currently offered at the Apple store got horrible reviews from users, I think I'll steer clear of that.

Re: my non-working superdrive (DVD-RW DVR-104) I read somewhere that a manual cleaning might help as a last resort. Does anyone have suggestions or a link to information on how to do a manual cleaning? It seems that the drive is hopeless as it is.

I think you would have to open up the drive to do that, use cotton swab from an optical or VCR cleaning kit moistened with isopropyl alcohol and wipe the laser lense. I'm not sure it is worth that unless you have a tight budget. It's probably an hour's worth of work and a little money out if you don't have iso alcohol, and there's no guarantee that it will work.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    take it to the genius bar and have them replace the drive. same happened to me...replaced for free and on site.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I'm happy to report that as a last resort my husband offered to give it a try with a can of Endust for Electronics - and the problem is solved. I don't understand how the drive could read CDs but not DVDs, but it must have been a serious dust problem; and now I can play DVDs again.