The Hobbit

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Now this is interesting

http://www.theonering.net/staticnews/1163993546.html

Quote:

A couple of months ago there was a flurry of Hobbit news in the media. MGM, who own a portion of the film rights in The Hobbit, publicly stated they wanted to make the film with us. It was a little weird at the time because nobody from New Line had ever spoken to us about making a film of The Hobbit and the media had some fun with that. Within a week or two of those stories, our Manager Ken Kamins got a call from the co-president of New Line Cinema, Michael Lynne, who in essence told Ken that the way to settle the lawsuit was to get a commitment from us to make the Hobbit, because "that's how these things are done". Michael Lynne said we would stand to make much more money if we tied the lawsuit and the movie deal together and this may well be true, but it's still the worst reason in the world to agree to make a film.

Several years ago, Mark Ordesky told us that New Line have rights to make not just The Hobbit but a second "LOTR prequel", covering the events leading up to those depicted in LOTR. Since then, we've always assumed that we would be asked to make The Hobbit and possibly this second film, back to back, as we did the original movies. We assumed that our lawsuit with the studio would come to a natural conclusion and we would then be free to discuss our ideas with the studio, get excited and jump on board. We've assumed that we would possibly get started on development and design next year, whilst filming The Lovely Bones. We even had a meeting planned with MGM executives to talk through our schedule.

However last week, Mark Ordesky called Ken and told him that New Line would no longer be requiring our services on the Hobbit and the LOTR 'prequel'. This was a courtesy call to let us know that the studio was now actively looking to hire another filmmaker for both projects.

Well I wonder who they'd choose now to make The Hobbit. I'm not sure I'm liking the idea of a prequel though that happens after The Hobbit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I'm fine with Peter Jackson doing it...

...anyone else doing it is reason enough for skepticism.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

I'm not sure I'm liking the idea of a prequel though that happens after The Hobbit.

AFAIK nothing happens between The Hobbit and The LotR. Bilbo smoked some pipe weed and Gandalf washed his hair. I think they mean a prequel prior to the Hobbit - maybe the war of the elves and men against Sauron depicted in flashbacks in the LotR, where they got the ring.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    I would enjoy seeing "The Hobbit" adapted to a movie ala LOTR. But I think it would have to be Jackson who does it. That man should command enough credibility to have the movie made in a way that honors Tolkien and also is consistent with the events depicted in the LOTR trilogy. I hope this rumor is true.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    Without Jackson, this Hobbit will roll over dead, its stomach will burst open, exposing the greed of New Line mixed into a frothy, maggoty mess.
  • Reply 5 of 58
    Anyone sit through the whole LOTR series in one day?

In the summer my friends and I watched all three films over three nights-- and even that felt like an accomplishment.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ

Anyone sit through the whole LOTR series in one day?

In the summer my friends and I watched all three films over three nights-- and even that felt like an accomplishment.

The theatrical releases or the extended editions?
  • Reply 7 of 58
    Looks like Jackson has been cut...

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/....ap/index.html

End of the Hobbit as a success story.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    I am SOOO happy Peter Jackson isn't doing the Hobbit!! He killed the end of the Lord of the Rings. He got way, Way too cocky and thought he was a better story teller than Tolkien. The Hobbit needs someone humble--someone who will stick to the story!!! Okay?! The only reason that Arwen wasn't at Helm's Deep was because the fans caught wind of it! It can be done better. The effects are what made the movies come to life, not Jackson. F*&^ Jackson.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    Yeah, Peter Jackson shoulda avoided the controversy with the 'true' Rings fans and gone straight to the King Kong remake. It would have saved 3-4 years of wasting everyone's time... (In case anyone missed it... I'm being sarcastic)
  • Reply 10 of 58
    I don't really like Peter Jackson's style. He tries so hard to be descriptive and show people something cool but it's always at the expense of the story. The end of Return of the King totally killed all the build up for me. It just kept going and going. Then with King Kong it was the same thing. There were long gaps when the storyline was not being pushed forward or manipulated in anyway. Peter was just showing off.

Anyway, I agree with Fangorn. The Hobbit will be great movie if it sticks real close to the book. It's a great book and in my opinion could easily be transferred to the silver screen without anything being added.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    Can someone bother to explain how Peter killed the end of the LOR? Can someone bother explain why nobody had successfully brought the LOR to the screen before Jackson? Can someone bother to tell me why the special effects in the LOR are so great and why Peter should not be involved with the next film and why the effects company is co-owned by Peter himself? If Peter had not been invloved with the project, it would not have gotten off the ground; at least he had the courage to try it, and he did a pretty good job. Why have the movies been so successful?

No film that I have seen created from a major book was ever completely faithful to the book; various adaptations must be made. The LOR films shared the story with millions of people who had never read the books, but chose to after seeing the films because of their impact, and they shared a very good story.

I read the books as a child many times over and loved them. I also watch the films several times each and loved them. No. They are not completely the same. They are, however, both excellent works.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It's LoTR.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    The moment he cut out Old Tom, Peter Jackson was dead to me. DEAD I TELL YOU!
  • Reply 14 of 58
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I thought that Jackson did a very good job on the books. The last part of Return of the King is kind of slow anyway and was the best placed to make cuts to fit the movie into the time they had. So should he have made ROTK a 2 part? I would of liked the Battle for the Shire but I only paid for viewing it at a theater and buying each of the DVD's.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    Scouring of the Shire... since it was filled with filthy, fat Hobbitses...
  • Reply 16 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo

The moment he cut out Old Tom, Peter Jackson was dead to me. DEAD I TELL YOU!

The moment he cut out old Tom, who had no bearing on the story whatsoever and was indicative that Tolkien's writing style was completely masturbatory, I realized Jackson might have something.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

The moment he cut out old Tom, who had no bearing on the story whatsoever and was indicative that Tolkien's writing style was completely masturbatory, I realized Jackson might have something.

I agree.

Bergermeister: In my post I said why I thought he ruined the end of The Lord of the Rings. Peter took too long with it. It would have been sufficient to cut the crap at the end and just say it was a happy ending. That's my opinion remember I don't think that anyone else said that he ruined it. I think the fact that I didn't particularly enjoy the series in any form whether that's the books or the movies, I didn't really enjoy the story. The Hobbit was the only one I really liked.
  • Reply 18 of 58
  • Reply 19 of 58
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ

PJ'S DIRECTING IT NOW!

Well, if The Sun says it, it's gotta be true! Could you not find a corroborating link from Go Fug Yourself?
  • Reply 20 of 58
    Nah I haven't visited that site in a while.

I probably got it from Pink is the New Blog.