Official Useful Applications Thread

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Well I have been seeing a lot of new (and some old) Mac users asking around for what a good application for this or for that is. Even though we could use the search feature I thought that it might be better to have them all on one thread, as a big reference point.

For each application or program write a short description, provide a link (hyperlink is preferable) and, if it costs anything, list it's price. As new applications come out feel free to add them to the list.

For example...

Adium: Adium is one of the best, if not the best, instant messaging program out there. It does Yahoo, MSN, AIM accounts, as well as .Mac. The interface is great and easy to work with. It is easily better than iChat and AIM Triton. It's all-around a great application.

Price: Free

Alright guys, lets start making a list!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    BitTorrent Client: Azureus
  • Reply 2 of 54
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    handbrake is great if you like to watch movies and travel, because watching a dvd takes more battery life than a video from hard drive, so just rip the dvd and your set
  • Reply 4 of 54
    Alright good job guys, lets keep working on this.

Of course QuickSilver is also a great application launcher...and much more if you learn how to use it right. One of the most helpful apps i have ever come across.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    Null.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    TextWrangler for general textual stuff, coding, and the like.

Super powerful, very flexible, and free.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    And PLEASE, try to avoid repeating the same application over and over and over. I find thats what kills these type of threads.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Null.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    Oh yah I forgot to mention that. It can be very frustrating when trying to find an app. for yourself and you see the same ones over and over. So while there hasn't been repeating yet, try and make sure it doesn't happen.

And yes quicksilver is very quick

Here is one of my favorites, though it is merely a widget. It is called iStatPro. It moniters all of your computers insides, such as CPU workload, temperature, and the such. Also there are a few other good widgets that moniters things such as applications, at iSlayer.

P.S. It is really hard to type with gloves on\\!
  • Reply 10 of 54
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

Not a single one has been repeated...

It was a precautionary measure, I wasn't implying that it had been already repeated.

Anyways, I am going to recommend the widget "iTunes Stats". Very neat for having stats on your library. For instance, I've spent 1360 hours listening to music, and my play count is 23,291
  • Reply 11 of 54
    IRC: Colloquy

Movie Player: VLC

Colloquy is very mac esque, and is probably the best IRC client that I've found so far. I might change soon if I can find something that fits my style more (like the file sharing things...) But overall a great client.

VLC is something someone here recommended to me-- it's great for a movie player as it supports lots of different file types, and oh-- your laptop/etc won't go to sleep while watching a movie! Also has Full Screen mode.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
  • Reply 13 of 54
    Sticky this thread! I'm recommending EarthDesk, CSSEdit and iConquer (very addictive).
  • Reply 14 of 54
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Camino is a great browser for OS X, it has a nice Mac look and will eventually be the best browser for the mac platform. It was made by Mozilla, the same great people who revolutionized web browsing with Firefox

[edit] Forgot to put smcFan Control. It allows the user of a hot MBP to cool it down within seconds by adjusting fan speed
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Oh I almost forgot, Flip4Mac is a great free program that lets you watch WMV with quicktime. Little plug-in, works great, barely any performance hit.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Overflow launcher gets my vote.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Event Maker

Stand alone Event Maker for iCal that also works from within Mail. Create Events and To Dos that can include all (or selected) text from email as a Note.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    BBEdit for coding.

Mac OS X - 10.4.8 - Mac Pro コンピュータ -
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Flyingmeat has two great apps, VoodooPad and FlySketch.

VoodooPad is a notepad that is a wiki. It is pretty powerful and has become almost a mini word-processor for me.

Flysketch is a screen capture annd drawing tool that is very functional.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Here's one similar to OverFlow. TigerLaunch.

"TigerLaunch is an easy-to-use and easy-to-configure application launcher for OS X. It displays an Apps menu at the top of your screen listing all your applications in alphabetical order?no matter what folder they appear in. You can easily configure it to exclude applications you rarely or never launch. This allows you to be more selective about what apps are dock-worthy, so your dock doesn?t get so cluttered. It also makes it easier to launch apps that are buried in sub-folders, such as in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder."

I've used GraphicConverter for years and it still has it's uses (exporting files and formats) but when I want to just view images, I've been trying out CocoViewX. It is a freeware image viewer. Very nicely done with lots of features and gets better with every upgrade.

I have not been a big gamer on the Mac or Windows, but there has been one that I have played for over 6 years on Windows always hoping for a Mac version. Well, LBreakout has finally come over to OS X and I still have fun wasting idle time with it. Anyone know of other mini-sized games available for OS X? Add them into the thread!