Who's tried Vista?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
If you've tried Vista, what do you think of it?

I'm actually quite surprised with how crap it is. Low market share with Mac's never bother me to any extent, but now even if you want low marketshare to stay for one reason or another, for the years to come, start wishing, because after looking Vista, and using/messing around with it for a day or two now, I can say quite clearly without beer goggles on, that Leopard is going to embarrass Microsoft. Don't get me wrong I'm not a Microsoft hater, the laughing is genuine, and is genuinely uncontrollable. Like when you see a "Lada" coming down the road, an uncontrollable chuckle always closely follows. Windows 'sidebar' is one of the stupidest ideas I've even seen, it is clear when you see it; the only reason it exists is that Microsoft saw Dashboard, but more importantly they saw it's growth and acceptance among Mac users. They couldn't copy dashboard in the way it comes in and goes away, so they decided (for some unknown reason) that it should never really "go away", it should stay around to get in the way. As if the taskbar 'Shelf" wasn't enough, now there's the quick-lauch addition to the ever more annoying collection of additions in/on the taskbar. The 'quick-launch' part of the taskbar reminds me of something... oh yeah, actually it reminds me of "the dock". It does the same thing, it launches apps from a fixed location. Only difference is one is probably the best invention ever, and the other is very very annoying. People are saying "Vista" is very like "Tiger". I disagree, I think "Vista" is like XP, alot like XP. The only real real difference from Vista to XP is looks, and even that's not as different as I thought it might be. To think it took this long, and yet it has so few (if any) noticeable improvements over its predecessor. "Look up there on that screen... here comes another Lada." /chuckles

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    "It think it's more like Tiger then XP" I know I gave that option, but I never predicted anyone voting for it.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    I'm so new to windows= XP for the first time today. It will take time to get into it much less think about Vista!
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kfdan

I'm so new to windows= XP for the first time today. It will take time to get into it much less think about Vista!

Do you mean Tiger?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I've been using macs since the first models up until System 8 or so, then back again since Panther was released. In all reality, Panther to Tiger isn't a huge upgrade from the user's perspective even though there is a lot under the hood that changed. So far, Tiger to Leopard looks pretty hokey, not much there for substance or the $129 (or whatever they'll charge)...but one can hope the 'secrets' are something cool.

Probably the biggest improvement has been because of Parallels, Bootcamp and Intel. The OS isn't that much different for me.

Spotlight = meh, don't use it much, very useful when i do need it

Widgets = meh, not that impressive or useful to me. Used a lot of them, but they aren't used enough to matter

Same goes for XP to Vista. Not much for the user, but a lot under the hood, good or bad, we'll see. What really shines is Office 2007 and the development tools (.net, sharepoint 2007, etc). That's where 2007 Microsoft really gives Mac the kick in the rear and right off the stage.

That being said, my windows development box is a MacBook Pro, using Parallels.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I can never understand people that don't use Dashboard, cause it's cuts my workload times in half. Ba da bing, ba da boom.

/now Sidebar is a different matter, it physically gets in the way. Who's the idiot who though up that idea? Retarded.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

I can never understand people that don't use Dashboard, cause it's cuts my workload times in half. Ba da bing, ba da boom.

/now Sidebar is a different matter, it physically gets in the way. Who's the idiot who though up that idea? Retarded.

you can let it 'hide'. An interesting thing to note is Sideshow, which is a cool feature on new laptops with a mini display, allowing you to use your Gadgets while your laptop is off.

I expect to see a lot of this kind of thing in the future, with OS X and Windows, gadgets/widgets available on different kinds of hardware such as phones and ipods.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

you can let it 'hide'. An interesting thing to note is Sideshow, which is a cool feature on new laptops with a mini display, allowing you to use your Gadgets while your laptop is off.

I expect to see a lot of this kind of thing in the future, with OS X and Windows, gadgets/widgets available on different kinds of hardware such as phones and ipods.

I know... but very bad implementation IMO. Steve Jobs said when talking about Dashboard (widgets), "as quick as they appear they're gone again, and that's very important". I remember saying out loud at the time; that's so true! You do what you have to, and zipp they're gone again. I thought Vista/Microsoft would have learned from this, and even improved upon it. No they took something that already existed and made it worse, alot worse, again IMO.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

I know... but very bad implementation IMO. Steve Jobs said when talking about Dashboard (widgets), "as quick as they appear they're gone again, and that's very important". I remember saying out loud at the time; that's so true! You do what you have to, and zipp they're gone again. I thought Vista/Microsoft would have learned from this, and even improved upon it. No they took something that already existed and made it worse, alot worse, again IMO.

dashboard widgets don't always load very fast, so they are next to useless to me. even on a fast macbook pro with 2gb ram, there is always that 'delay' factor and they aren't up to date. So... not a very good implementation either.

if apple was smart, they'd make it so dashboard can run ANY widget/gadget that is out there, including google's and microsofts. that would be a better app. pretty silly as it is since they are all pretty much javascript anyway.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

dashboard widgets don't always load very fast, so they are next to useless to me. even on a fast macbook pro with 2gb ram, there is always that 'delay' factor and they aren't up to date. So... not a very good implementation either.

if apple was smart, they'd make it so dashboard can run ANY widget/gadget that is out there, including google's and microsofts. that would be a better app. pretty silly as it is since they are all pretty much javascript anyway.

I check my stocks, look up Wikipedia, check the date & time in mine and numerous countries, I know exactly when the Macwold Keynote is, I know who's birthday is coming up, skype, I know instantly if the domain I'm looking for is available, I can convert currencies and anything else (Celsius to Fahrenheit etc.), I can translate to and from most languages, I know how many eMail's I have (a widget tells my - out loud), and if I want to update my widgets I use widget update.

Pretty handy.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Of course you can simply turn off the Gadgets in Vista and use something like Yahoo Widgets (previously Konfabulator)... which is pretty much where Apple got the whole Dashboard thing. I must be the only one... I've been using the latest Vista RC and I quite like it. It is a bit of a resource hog... so you need to have a system with a decent amount of power and RAM (but you can turn off all of the eye candy for systems that might have trouble keeping up). I'm happily a Mac person, but I find that I enjoy using Vista more than XP.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    I´m not going to touch Vista at home, I´m going to switch to OS X instead.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wincc

I´m not going to touch Vista at home, I´m going to switch to OS X instead.

Why, no Mac yet? It's a breath of fresh air man.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Why, no Mac yet? It's a breath of fresh air man.

I´m ashamed to say this but the feel & look of the hardware has turned me off in the past, but the Mac Pro really got my attention and I went to a Apple Store and found my love

Now I´m doing the homework before ordering one.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    The error messages look nicer, and thats good, 'cause I see them more often.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I haven't extensively used Vista, but can anyone put me straight on whether the usual ridiculous notification dialogues are there?

I installed Boot Camp yesterday to do something short but necessary on Windows, and I got so frustrated with Windows I actually started to perspire, and ended up going straight back to OS X. I encountered "Take the Windows XP Tour!", "Hiding your inactive notification icons - click this button to see them", and "Your computer is at risk, your anti-virus software is not installed or not up-to-date" all popping up from the system tray. It made me want to kick children.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b3ns0n

I haven't extensively used Vista, but can anyone put me straight on whether the usual ridiculous notification dialogues are there?

I installed Boot Camp yesterday to do something short but necessary on Windows, and I got so frustrated with Windows I actually started to perspire, and ended up going straight back to OS X. I encountered "Take the Windows XP Tour!", "Hiding your inactive notification icons - click this button to see them", and "Your computer is at risk, your anti-virus software is not installed or not up-to-date" all popping up from the system tray. It made me want to kick children.

They are there and at a level that is not even funny, HOWEVER, all you have to do is turn off UAC and it stops.

Enjoy Vista!

O but good luck finding virus software that runs correctly at this time, however the spyware is builtin with Windows Defender.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    I'm made a rule of pulling out my internet connection before I used XP or Vista, on my only computer, my iMac. Yesterday I went back to a single partition, I feel very clean now. I found another cat in the bush.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b3ns0n

They're there.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

They're there.

Again, just turn off UAC and you dont get all that.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    I use dashboard constantly, (checking weather, dates, addressbook etc..) and spotlight not as much but it is great when I do need it. Last night I used spot for some work I was doing and it was great to be able to highlight some text in an Excel sheet and then spotlight that text to find the corresponding pdf file I needed to edit into a jpeg instantly, all with a few clicks of my mouse.