question about a macbook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hi, I'd like to know if it is anyhow possible to turn off the screen of the macbook while it is connected to an external monitor and playing dvds.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    You need to activate "closed lid mode". Do so by connecting the power cord to your macbook, then connect the screen. Close the lid. Plugging in a USB device of any kind or pressing any key on an external keyboard or mouse will wake the MacBook up. Now the external screen is the main screen, the internal one is disabled.

Be careful, though, and reopen the lid of the MacBook a bit as the screen could be damaged by the heat when running it for days in closed lid mode.

Reactivation of the internal screen: set MacBook to sleep, close the lid, disconnect your external screen and open the lid again. Now the internal display is the main one. If it's not working, reboot always helps.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Can't you also turn the light off?

I can turn my macbookpro's light to pretty much "off" (or at least it looks that way). via the F1 key..
  • Reply 3 of 6
    This would NOT be the answer to the original question.

But you can do this. But I'm not sure on which screen DVD Player will show the movie. Probably only on the internal screen (if an external one is connected). I've never tried it, though.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker

This would NOT be the answer to the original question.

But you can do this. But I'm not sure on which screen DVD Player will show the movie. Probably only on the internal screen (if an external one is connected). I've never tried it, though.

Yeh neither, so I have no idea.

;[
  • Reply 5 of 6
    just turn the brightness all the way down
  • Reply 6 of 6
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    when I watch iTunes content on my TV via my MacBook I turn on mirroring and turn the brightness down to nothing. Works great.