Any subtitle program for mac ?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
guy's im new in mac world i've been with windows long time ago, my question now is there and subtitle program that can be pluged with quicktime or any program "Ex: i download an episode with torrent and then search with google for a subtitle file for it and then play it with windows media player" this what i do when i was with window now what about Mac

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    You should use VLC
  • Reply 2 of 11
    thanx but what can it do with subtitle ???
  • Reply 3 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mishary

thanx but what can it do with subtitle ???

If you place the subtitle file in the same folder as the movie, you can go to video>subtitles> and it should appear if it's a recognised file. The subtitles will then just play. You can also load a subtitles file manually in the open dialog.

I think they have to be .srt subtitles. There are converters out there though.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

If you place the subtitle file in the same folder as the movie, you can go to video>subtitles> and it should appear if it's a recognised file. The subtitles will then just play. You can also load a subtitles file manually in the open dialog.

I think they have to be .srt subtitles. There are converters out there though.

But when i do the same the subtitle does not appear .. it wont work, what i do is:

file -> open file -> i load the file and from there i load also the subtitle file by mark the square of (load subtitle file) and then also click setting and choose the file from there and the file as you said it also got .srt but it didnt play ! Could you help me please.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    You may need to go to the Video menu and then select the Subtitles Track to get it to play. If the subtitle file is named the same as the video file (just with a different extension) then you shouldn't have to manually open the subtitle file. You would just need to go to the video menu and select your subtitle track.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endymion

You may need to go to the Video menu and then select the Subtitles Track to get it to play. If the subtitle file is named the same as the video file (just with a different extension) then you shouldn't have to manually open the subtitle file. You would just need to go to the video menu and select your subtitle track.

i did the same but only the video is running without the subtitle eventhough the subtitle file got the same file name as the video file ! and i did it manually also but it didnt work
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

i did the same but only the video is running without the subtitle eventhough the subtitle file got the same file name as the video file ! and i did it manually also but it didnt work

Can you post a link to the .srt file you downloaded?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

here is it:

http://download.yousendit.com/8C7EA45F112D6FE5

The subtitles file works for me in VLC but it's full of unrecognised characters. What language is it supposed to be in? Maybe you need a certain font to see it. If you open the .srt file in textedit, you can see the times and what the words will show up as.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

The subtitles file works for me in VLC but it's full of unrecognised characters. What language is it supposed to be in? Maybe you need a certain font to see it. If you open the .srt file in textedit, you can see the times and what the words will show up as.

Your right ! the problem was the subtitle file. i changed it and every thing goes smooth. THANKS AGAIN ! but my last question do you know any good site for downloading subtitle files ?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

do you know any good site for downloading subtitle files ?

I rarely need subtitles but if I do, I just use whatever site comes up with what I need. Often the subtitles are included with the movie.

I think the main one I've used is this one:

http://subtitles.images.o2.cz/

but this one looks interesting:

http://www.opensubtitles.org/en