Movie studios want new "anti-piracy" model from Apple

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwoloszynski


    I am going to guess that the studios are worried that someone will figure out how to crack Apple's encryption and release their high-quality movies onto the P2P networks.



    Like that's not already happening with people ripping DVDs? You can already get any block buster movie you want from bit torrent sites. If they are worried about weak encryption they should sort out their own first before getting all high and mighty with Apple.
  • Reply 42 of 72
    Nothing is pirate proof. The best way to stop pirates is a low price and a good product. If it can be downloaded and/or read by software then it can be hacked by software no matter what DRM says.



    It seems the MPAA and RIAA are all about $$$$$ and not quality. Snakes on a plane is a good example of whats wrong with the MPAA!
  • Reply 43 of 72
    This reminds me of a woman I knew... She ran a scifi convention, and needed to half fill the hall to break even. She only 1/4 filled the hall.



    I said "for the next convention, make the tickets cheaper - you'll fill 3/4 or all of the hall!".

    Instead she doubled the price of the tickets. She figured she'd only have to fill 1/4 of the hall then, like she'd just done with this convention. She even booked a smaller hall. Unfortunately she only filled about 1/8.



    The next year she upped the ticket prices again... I think she eventually went bankrupt.
  • Reply 44 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jadams


    Like that's not already happening with people ripping DVDs? You can already get any block buster movie you want from bit torrent sites. If they are worried about weak encryption they should sort out their own first before getting all high and mighty with Apple.



    I don't get the fear either. Have the iTunes video offerings been cracked yet? Even if they are cracked, an update to iTunes can change that for a while. In comparison, the DVD format is jammed wide open.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you just hook up a recorder to the video output on the Mac and record the movies you have in iTunes? Or are they Macrovision protected, or something like that? I'm sure before the studios let Apple have HD content in the iTunes store, they will want to require HDCP on the video hardware playing the video, much like they do for HD-DVD and Blu-ray.
  • Reply 46 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mkane


    Nothing is pirate proof. The best way to stop pirates is a low price and a good product. If it can be downloaded and/or read by software then it can be hacked by software no matter what DRM says.



    It seems the MPAA and RIAA are all about $$$$$ and not quality. Snakes on a plane is a good example of whats wrong with the MPAA!



    I was with you...'till you dissed one of the best movies of all time.
  • Reply 47 of 72
    This is lame.



    You already can't copy from iPods, copy crossed shared libraries, and can't put purchased movies on more than five computers. Albeit you can put purchased content on more than 5 iPods, that doesn't matter because one sync of the iPod, or one restore, or whatever, and that content you copied from a friends computer is gone. Movie companies are just being greedy. Also, Apple is not responsible for it's users actions.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    "You already can't copy from iPods"



    Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!
  • Reply 49 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core


    "You already can't copy from iPods"



    Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!



    Your triplex response is lame. You need a new catch phrase.



    You are right, it's technically wrong, but it's still irrelevant as a means of ripping off the rights holders with respect to videos sold through iTunes.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ollebolle


    approaching 100 million $

    what part is the actor's salaries. do they think i want to pay that much for brad pitt or someone else to be in a movie,??



    I think the headline actors get several million USD per movie.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius


    I was with you...'till you dissed one of the best movies of all time.



    ROFLMAO
  • Reply 52 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by salmonstk


    these people really are dumb. Distribution is a service. They don't realize that and they dont see people will pay for that service if it is done right. net flix has realized that and created a great model. Apple could do the same with a download netflix type service. But they can also offer download files like they do now. I don't see why any restriction should be placed on teh download that is not placed on the actual dvd. As you all have mentioned it is easier and better quality to rip the netflix dvd than the Apple download.



    I want hardware.H264 encoding! Is it in any of those ATI X1900000000 and nVidia 7950GTXXXSTXXXX cards?
  • Reply 53 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad


    The most logical source of pirate DVDs is the factories where the DVDs are made. They are invariably located in developing nations where virtually nobody can afford to pay US prices for anything. The manufacturers can probably make as much money selling DVDs out the back door as they get from the studios (huge contracts usually have very low profit margins).



    However, physical DVDs are being replaced with digital files that can be transfered quickly across the internet and those digital files are showing up before anyone has even started manufacturing DVDs. Casino Royale was available on the internet during its first week of theatrical release



    Clearly there are leaks very high up the distribution chain. If the movie studios can't stop those then they need to accept that the piracy war is over and the pirates, as expected, have won. The only way to sell their content now is to make it easier and "cheaper" to obtain than an illegal copy.



    The iTunes Music Store works because searching is easy, downloads are fast and the music and TV content is reasonably priced. Disney movies are the type of thing the kids will watch repeatedly so the price isn't too bad for them. I can't justify buying most movies because I'll only watch them twice.



    Bingo. Best post in this thread. 8) ...The studios need to get their heads out of their ass and get their content on iTunes Store as soon as possible. More DRM? A "better model"? WTF? Sure, *some* modifications to suit movies, fair enough, but they need to *TRUST* Apple not play stupid games while their content is leaking all over the Internet like.... some boat that's really leaky....Personally I think Apple needs to offer both purchase AND rental of movies.

    ..................................................
  • Reply 54 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM


    Your triplex response is lame. You need a new catch phrase.



    You are right, it's technically wrong, but it's still irrelevant as a means of ripping off the rights holders with respect to videos sold through iTunes.



    WRONG
  • Reply 55 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core


    WRONG



    OK, now we all see that you can come up with new catch phrases. Back to the topic now, please!
  • Reply 56 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad


    Clearly there are leaks very high up the distribution chain. If the movie studios can't stop those then they need to accept that the piracy war is over and the pirates, as expected, have won. The only way to sell their content now is to make it easier and "cheaper" to obtain than an illegal copy.



    "Clearly there are leaks very high up the distribution chain."

    We should call it what it is, i.e., stealing



    "If the movie studios can't stop those then they need to accept that the piracy war is over and the pirates, as expected, have won."

    Are you suggesting the we should accept auto theft, drunk driving, sexually abuse or murder?



    "The only way to sell their content now is to make it easier and "cheaper" to obtain than an illegal copy."

    I can't think of anything that one could make easier and cheaper to obtain than an illegal copy?
  • Reply 57 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core


    WRONG



    Now you are just being an ass. If someone is wrong, at least have the courtesy of telling them why you think they are wrong or don't say anything in the first place, it's totally rude and non-conversational.
  • Reply 58 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM


    Now you are just being an ass. If someone is wrong, at least have the courtesy of telling them why you think they are wrong or don't say anything in the first place, it's totally rude and non-conversational.



    I was answering you. Your statement is wrong.
  • Reply 59 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core


    I was answering you. Your statement is wrong.



    And you are still being an ass if you are unwilling to explain why someone is wrong while saying so in the first place.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball


    This is lame.



    You already can't copy from iPods, copy crossed shared libraries, and can't put purchased movies on more than five computers. Albeit you can put purchased content on more than 5 iPods, that doesn't matter because one sync of the iPod, or one restore, or whatever, and that content you copied from a friends computer is gone. Movie companies are just being greedy. Also, Apple is not responsible for it's users actions.



    I am not an idiot.



    I know you CAN rip content off an iPod, hell you CAN do just about anything, and thats why supposedly uncrackable databases of credit cards, bank account pin numbers, etc. get hacked. But what I was referring to is the fact that you "can't" rip music and movies off iPods, and it is not Apple's responsibility to excessively protect against users taking content off of iPods, because if a user really wants to do it, trust me, they will, no matter how hard it is.
Sign In or Register to comment.