eMacs for $699

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
FYI:

The MicroCenter in KC (Overland Park, a KC 'burb) has about 30 eMacs for $699. They are the 1st gen model with combo drive units with 128 MB RAM and OS 10.1. $699 aint bad!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    That should be their regular price.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Their regular price should be $599. Everyone would own one, every current Mac user would buy it just because. Wow, would that sell?
  • Reply 3 of 25
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr. Macintosh:

<strong>Their regular price should be $599. Everyone would own one, every current Mac user would buy it just because. Wow, would that sell?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, I can think of hundreds of better uses for $600 (including stashing it in savings). But then I've vowed never to buy a computer with a CRT again. My LCD has spoiled me.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    There are lots of cheap eMacs floating around, however they do NOT have Jaguar and Apple won't honor the 10.2 up-to-date program on them.

So unless your cool with Mac OS 9, be prepared to spend another $129 to get Jaguar.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    699 for a combo eMac is about right. The CRT iMac ought to be a 300USD disposable computer by now. But if you w3ant a real switcher machine, you'd have redone cubes (larer, simpler) or pizza boxes in the 699-1299 range.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>699 for a combo eMac is about right. The CRT iMac ought to be a 300USD disposable computer by now. But if you w3ant a real switcher machine, you'd have redone cubes (larer, simpler) or pizza boxes in the 699-1299 range.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It would be interesting if Apple released the first pizza box that is a computer. You could recieve one instead of a free order of cinna-stix from Dominos when you order a large pizza.

Or even better, the Apple Store could cook pizza's on top of old 667 mzh Powerbooks and slip them inside the 699 pizza box macs. As long as you kept the Mac on you would have a hot pizza.

Apple claims they "Think Different."

This would be "Really Different." So what if the Mac has a low mzh, it has a pizza inside!

Ok, enough with the sarcasm. eMacs are really nice and 699 for one is a steal, especially if you already have 10.2
  • Reply 7 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>

Actually, I can think of hundreds of better uses for $600 (including stashing it in savings). But then I've vowed never to buy a computer with a CRT again. My LCD has spoiled me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Same with me. I'll never buy a computer with a CRT.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Same with me. I'll never buy a computer with a CRT.</strong><hr></blockquote>

&lt;grumble&gt; obviously you dont do any color work... &lt;/grumble&gt;

I dont even do color critical work but the lcds ive tried (and returned) just dont represent the spectrum properly. So many combinations of bad contrast and color wash. even the best looking ones fall apart when you get to dark gradients....

I still think we are a good 2 years away from a color accurate lcd that doesn't cost the moon...

arrrrrg
  • Reply 9 of 25
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by I-bent-my-wookie:

<strong>

I dont even do color critical work but the lcds ive tried (and returned) just dont represent the spectrum properly. So many combinations of bad contrast and color wash. even the best looking ones fall apart when you get to dark gradients....

I still think we are a good 2 years away from a color accurate lcd that doesn't cost the moon...

arrrrrg</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think EmAn can see dithering on an LCD even, so his eyes probably aren't a good judge of displays.

Personally I like LCDs, but they really trash some things. They're very sharp and moveable, though. Tradeoffs...
  • Reply 10 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by I-bent-my-wookie:

<strong>

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't do any color critical work - mostly web stuff, and there's no point being too picky about color in that medium. LCDs are small and tack-sharp, especially for displaying text, and most importantly for my poor senses, they're whine- and flicker-free. Since text is the medium I most frequently work in, they're a clear improvement over CRTs for my purposes.

I am eyeing one of the more color-accurate LCDs as a replacement for the one I have, whose colors shift dramatically if I sit up or slouch back in my chair. If the reviews are any indication, they're getting to the point where they're good enough for non-critical color work, at least. Since I won't be charged with running a limited edition of Matisse prints off on my Epson 740 any time soon, that should be good enough for me.
  • Reply 11 of 25

<strong>

Same with me. I'll never buy a computer with a CRT.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Really?

Lets talk after you need your first backlight replaced
  • Reply 12 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Stagflation Steve:

<strong>

Lets talk after you need your first backlight replaced</strong><hr></blockquote>

What if I've already had my first tube die a violent death?
  • Reply 13 of 25

<strong>

I don't do any color critical work - mostly web stuff, and there's no point being too picky about color in that medium. LCDs are small and tack-sharp, especially for displaying text, and most importantly for my poor senses, they're whine- and flicker-free. Since text is the medium I most frequently work in, they're a clear improvement over CRTs for my purposes.

I am eyeing one of the more color-accurate LCDs as a replacement for the one I have, whose colors shift dramatically if I sit up or slouch back in my chair. If the reviews are any indication, they're getting to the point where they're good enough for non-critical color work, at least. Since I won't be charged with running a limited edition of Matisse prints off on my Epson 740 any time soon, that should be good enough for me. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I hear you. Dont get me wrong I love LCDs. For coding it rocks my world. But I need a little more versatility. Ive been thinking of just throwing in 400 canadian for a 15"nec just for coding. but then I want two!!! and unless I can do more than coding I cant justify it... yet!
  • Reply 14 of 25
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member

<strong>

Actually, I can think of hundreds of better uses for $600 (including stashing it in savings). But then I've vowed never to buy a computer with a CRT again. My LCD has spoiled me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And what about LCDs are so superior except for the size? When I look at them I'm never impressed-the mouse arrow disappears if you move it too fast, you can't change the resolution, some of them look fuzzy. I mean, do laptop screens look better than CRTs? Have they ever looked better? I don't get it..................................
  • Reply 15 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>

And what about LCDs are so superior except for the size? When I look at them I'm never impressed-the mouse arrow disappears if you move it too fast, you can't change the resolution, some of them look fuzzy. I mean, do laptop screens look better than CRTs? Have they ever looked better? I don't get it..................................</strong><hr></blockquote>

Two more positive things about them are that they're easier on the eyes and use a lot less power.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member

<strong>

Two more positive things about them are that they're easier on the eyes and use a lot less power.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And the flicker on CRT's kill me. I can't stand it. I guess that's a combination of my being spoiled by laptop screens and using cheap CRT's at work. But it's so noticable, I don't know how anyone works on those things.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Well, there's only one way to go for laptops, so, I'm fine with LCDS.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Come to think of it: If I could get an eMac for that price with superdrive and a 1 GHz processor, I'd buy one. Apple, please lower the price. At that price, everyone WILL buy one just for the hell of it.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>

And the flicker on CRT's kill me. I can't stand it. I guess that's a combination of my being spoiled by laptop screens and using cheap CRT's at work. But it's so noticable, I don't know how anyone works on those things.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't see any flicker at all on my Mag Innovision CRT. To my eyes the LCDs I've seen in the stores just don't look that great, especially with video. There is also so much more discrepancy with colors in comparing the different brands of LCDs, while when i compare the CRTs there isn't much at all...............................................
  • Reply 20 of 25
    eMac video issue update: I spoke to an Apple rep today who advised me that the video problem with the eMacs has been localized to a bad video cable. It seemed that even after replacing all the electronics in bad eMacs, they found they were continuously repairing the SAME machines. That turned their attention to one of the video component items they hadn't replaced...the cable.