Apple gains control of critical digital download patent

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    Remember when Apple announced they'd be handing over $100,000,000 US to Creative to license the "technology" outlined in the Zen patent? Well, looks like they will be getting that back and then some... no wonder they settled so fast.
  • Reply 42 of 84
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    holy mowly--this has GOT to push pressure on everything including upward stock price. looks

like that halo effect from the ipod was a diversion, this is huge huge huge. now apple will leverage the hell out of this. move over MS. they are dependent on software, but the future is downloading movies, music, place shifting. it will be the replacement for cable and soooo many things.

good job SJ, and one more thing......
  • Reply 43 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER

holy mowly--this has GOT to push pressure on everything including upward stock price. looks

like that halo effect from the ipod was a diversion, this is huge huge huge. now apple will leverage the hell out of this. move over MS. they are dependent on software, but the future is downloading movies, music, place shifting. it will be the replacement for cable and soooo many things.

good job SJ, and one more thing......

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm still not understanding why we're excited about technology getting more expensive.

Better living through litigation? Surely some mistake...
  • Reply 44 of 84
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Brave of you.

Don't get all snippy just because a couple of newbies are giving you a b*tch-slapping on the other thread!
  • Reply 45 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

Don't get all snippy just because a couple of newbies are giving you a b*tch-slapping on the other thread!

Joy on "My Name is Earl" has now monopolized "Snap" usage for me. Whenever I see it or hear it now, I have to mentally say it the way she does.
  • Reply 46 of 84
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    I imagine Apple sanctioned the announcement and speculation by the lawyer (who's probably just made himself several million bucks). It allows Apple to pile on the menace whilst staying silent. I doubt the implied threat will ever be carried out but it sure makes the next round of negotiations interesting.
  • Reply 47 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Michael Starkweather, a lawyer and author of the 10-year old patent, issued a statement on Thursday calling it a "billion dollar patent" that will have affects on the future of the "cell phone, iPod and PDA" industries.

That should be "effects", not "affects".

http://www.sparknotes.com/writing/style/topic_9.html
  • Reply 48 of 84
    Dave Contois was my old piano teacher when I lived in Vermont as a kid!

I've written a story about it on my weblog, here: http://peterbeddow.blogspot.com.
  • Reply 49 of 84
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sumitagarwal

Not being a judge I have the benefit of not needing to reconcile the situation with the law (which, in my opinion, has flaws that would need to be remedied before this particular situation could play out more reasonably). Instead I'm free to post the opinions of a relatively, though not extremely, informed citizen.

So yea, that's right, I'm glad I'm not a judge either.

Then why didn't you just say that? I'd have no issue with that.
  • Reply 50 of 84
    Quote:

Well, they really aren't, though they may think they are. But, your comment is just weird. this isn't Tv.
  • Reply 51 of 84
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vocaro

That should be "effects", not "affects".

http://www.sparknotes.com/writing/style/topic_9.html

Anyone want to count how many posts need a Loose vs. Lose lesson, with the latter so frequently (usually?) misspelled as the latter? It's vs. Its would be another favorite common error candidate.

And since Mel's been getting some flak in this thread it seems like the opportunity I've waited for to nit pick him about this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

this isn't Tv.

Is your shift-v key still broken?
  • Reply 52 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjk

Anyone want to count how many posts need a Loose vs. Lose lesson, with the latter so frequently (usually?) misspelled as the latter? It's vs. Its would be another favorite common error candidate.

And since Mel's been getting some flak in this thread it seems like the opportunity I've waited for to nit pick him about this:

Is your shift-v key still broken?

Well...

Actually, I always capitalize it that way. It's one of my many idiosyncrasies.

I welcome picked nits. Just don't pick a fight please.
  • Reply 53 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Snap!

Snap...
  • Reply 54 of 84
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    It sounds like patenting a customer's possibility to go in to a store, look at some clothes, test some clothes of choice, then purchase them. This is an insane and probably illegal patent if it is what it sounds like.. I hope Apple doesn't play bitch about it.. for everyones sake.
  • Reply 55 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas

It sounds like patenting a customer's possibility to go in to a store, look at some clothes, test some clothes of choice, then purchase them. This is an insane and probably illegal patent if it is what it sounds like.. I hope Apple doesn't play bitch about it.. for everyones sake.

Not their style, I'd say they just got it so no one else could used it against them.
  • Reply 56 of 84
    I think this is getting blown out of proportion here. I hope. Open source software and net nuetrality should be the goal. I hate that Microsoft tries to subvert those things. Apple has its tendencies to go that way when it helps. I'd hate to see them go further in that direction.
  • Reply 57 of 84
    I'd like to see them make 1/2 a penny on every single music or movie download on the Net. Now you're talking incremental income! Analysts...!
  • Reply 58 of 84
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plus

See comment #17. Or don't - here's the link again.

Quote:

[CENTER]Abstract[/CENTER]

A computer system and method for controlling a media playing device. The system provides a user interface for allowing a user access to media pieces stored in a media database. The interface is also for controlling a media playing device, like a player piano or movie playing video device, that is coupled to the computer to play the accessed or selected piece of media. In one embodiment there is a computer interface that allows a user to display only music that relates to a selected category, like jazz or classical music. Another embodiment allows the user to direct the media playing device to automatically play selected music pieces that are related to a selected music category. Another embodiment allows a user to direct the media playing device to automatically play selected music pieces that are related to the selected music composer or artist.

Damn, we need a major, major overhaul of so-called "intellectual property" law if BS like this is being granted patent protection.
  • Reply 59 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete

Dave Contois was my old piano teacher when I lived in Vermont as a kid!

I've written a story about it on my weblog, here: http://peterbeddow.blogspot.com.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that no one cares. Nice blogspam.
  • Reply 60 of 84
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas

Wait, wait! Let's dress this patent up a bit. Let's say it's for an online clothing store...

"By means of a graphical menu which responds to mouse clicks, it will be possible to narrow clothing choices by categories such as, but not limited to, size, color, gender, style, etc."

Because damn, while this might seem obvious, we didn't always have this, did we? So we've got to reward the shear genius of coming up with such things with patent protection.