Tell me why I should make the switch...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Aperture today destroys any other RAW workflow application. Period.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    I'm a relatively new Mac user (July 2006) and I'm loving it. But, here's the key: you've got Boot Camp. Meaning, if you don't like OS X, you can run Windows under Boot Camp. But, either way, you get high-quality hardware, so you know that you count on.

But I do advise you to try OS X. It's a great OS, and Aperture is a great program for photography people.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    seriously, everything everyone is saying is true, using a mac is such a superior experience to a pc with windows. i can't stand using a pc anymore, it makes my brain hurt...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VideoGeek

If you're an early adopter of new technology, Apple is the most frustrating company in the world because of their obessive secrecy.

Apple is a funny creature, in some ways so innovative, yet also very conservative in adapting new technology. or rather, they won't just put bells and whistle and all sorts of gizmos in a computer for the heck of it - there has to be some tangible benefit for the user.

Quote:

If you are using Photoshop at all, which you should be (sorry Steve), you will have to wait until at least March, when Adobe releases the universal binary to get the full benefits of the new Core2Duo's on a Mac. Right now, CS2 is running slowly.

re: photoshop, i'd steer clear of CS2 altogether. purely anecdotal, but in our office only one guy uses it and he has lock-ups and crashes all to often on his quad g5 with 4gb ram. an identical machine running CS has no such problems. the same went for when we used iMacs. so even in Rosetta, i'd only use CS, not CS2, and performance should be more than adequate - it helps that macbooks come with 1gb ram now too!

another anecdote, while i'm at it, sorry! a couple of months ago, a friend who has a big dell laptop was trying to get about a gig of photos off his brand new canon digital SLR and was having all sorts of issues. in the end he asked my to bring my mac over (a 5 year old pismo, g4 upgraded). i plugged the camera in, and iPhoto opened and i just imported the photos. it took a little longer as my pismo only has USB1 (got a USB pci card now!). but his wife asked why the new(ish) dell couldn't do it but my old powerbook could, and my friend said "macs just work." best advertisement ever, and all true.

get the macbook!

sennen.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen

re: photoshop, i'd steer clear of CS2 altogether. purely anecdotal, but in our office only one guy uses it and he has lock-ups and crashes all to often on his quad g5 with 4gb ram. an identical machine running CS has no such problems. the same went for when we used iMacs. so even in Rosetta, i'd only use CS, not CS2, and performance should be more than adequate - it helps that macbooks come with 1gb ram now too!

another anecdote, while i'm at it, sorry! a couple of months ago, a friend who has a big dell laptop was trying to get about a gig of photos off his brand new canon digital SLR and was having all sorts of issues. in the end he asked my to bring my mac over (a 5 year old pismo, g4 upgraded). i plugged the camera in, and iPhoto opened and i just imported the photos. it took a little longer as my pismo only has USB1 (got a USB pci card now!). but his wife asked why the new(ish) dell couldn't do it but my old powerbook could, and my friend said "macs just work." best advertisement ever, and all true.

get the macbook!

sennen.

i have cs2 on a g5 quad and it works fine. there must be something wonky with your co-worker's set-up. i've had cs2 on this machine since it was released with no probelms. illustrator is a bit buggy, but it's always been a bit buggy.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    My MacBook had an uptime of 47days before i had to update fireware.

47 days!!!! thats almost 7 weeks, in those weeks it never choked once no crashes no problems at all. it just worked no slow down of system after 2 weeks like my old winbloz laptop did.

I love MacOSX noway would i ever go back to to windows! EVER!
  • Reply 26 of 30
    bodebode Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan

My MacBook had an uptime of 47days before i had to update fireware.

47 days!!!! thats almost 7 weeks, in those weeks it never choked once no crashes no problems at all. it just worked no slow down of system after 2 weeks like my old winbloz laptop did.

I love MacOSX noway would i ever go back to to windows! EVER!

Nice. So you updated your fireware? Did you download it on the waternet?

• Reply 27 of 30
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

My laptop is incredibly outdated (2 1/2 years to be exact) and the performance is nowhere near what I would like it to be.

This is one of the big advantages of Apples integrated business model.

I have a 3 year old PowerBook. I have it updated with the latest operating system with iLife 06, and it works perfectly fine.

I will be looking at a new laptop in '07 and I can update the PowerBook to Apple's next operating system and I can sell the PowerBook.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bode

I

Hardware:

(which Macintosh was always ahead )

How is that?

Quote:

One thing to consider is that usually apple does not put cheap parts. I mean.. if you compare to a Dell for example, apple's LCD, speakers, etc, are better.

Any company which uses south asian sweatshops as their OEMs (like Dell as well as Apple) uses cheap parts not just "usually", but always! That's the name of the game.

You will not have hardware quality control issues such as faulty power stabilization of the CPU (the buzz on MBP), defective cold solder on the GFX chips (iBooks), defects in capacitor casings (iMac's midplane boards)... I could go on, if you didn't use cheap parts. Guess what the shitty PCs like Dells have identical issues!

I have yet to see or hear or read about a faulty CPU power stabilization circuit problem on a Panasonic notebook, for example...

Quote:

(like Alienware for example).

Alienware doesn't make laptops. They order barrebone kits from a similar sweatshop like Sager and simply add the CPU/RAM/HDD and then resell it!

What are you going to suggest next, a Voodoo PC?

Quote:

System works from the very core and Mac OS is built based on FreeBSD which is a great UNIX flavor (one of the best I'd say). Even though Windows has something like a UNIX core... it's not the same thing as being built on top of a REAL UNIX core like Mac OS.

If you would have ever really worked in UNIX, you would know that it is a PAIN IN THE ASS to work with. It has security flaws up the wazoo just like, pretty much, any other operating system. Security is a service in UNIX, just like in Windows NT based system.

The only difference is that Windows NT, unlike Unix, was built to be a desktop PC OS from the very beginning and refined over many generations. UNIX was not, essentially, until the OSX. Try weilding Solaris or IRIX... the system command shell is your best bet if you want things done.

Apple has found out the hard way just how difficult it is to make UNIX user friendly. They're on the 4th iteration and there are still many rough edges.

I'd spend the next ten years improving your computer knowledge so you don't disinform people.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

This is one of the big advantages of Apples integrated business model.

I have a 3 year old PowerBook. I have it updated with the latest operating system with iLife 06, and it works perfectly fine.

A year old PC laptop should have a Banias Pentium M 1G centrino type system in it. (unless you were an idiot and bought a P4 or a Celeron D pile of crap)

Thus, a 3 year old powerbook with a G4 processor would be considerably more "outdated" in terms of hardware compared to 2.5 year old PC laptop... reagrdless of what OS you'd put on there. Apple is worse in this case.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    bodebode Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skatman

Any company which uses south asian sweatshops as their OEMs (like Dell as well as Apple) uses cheap parts not just "usually", but always! That's the name of the game.

You will not have hardware quality control issues such as faulty power stabilization of the CPU (the buzz on MBP), defective cold solder on the GFX chips (iBooks), defects in capacitor casings (iMac's midplane boards)... I could go on, if you didn't use cheap parts. Guess what the shitty PCs like Dells have identical issues!

Sure... they definitely have issues and I never said the parts are not coming from China. Why did you assume that in the first place? What I'm saying is: overall apple's laptops are not built as cheap as Dell's are. So afirming a Mac is behind a Dell is not a very smart statement. So don't try to distort what I said.

Quote:

Alienware doesn't make laptops. They order barrebone kits from a similar sweatshop like Sager and simply add the CPU/RAM/HDD and then resell it!

What are you going to suggest next, a Voodoo PC?

Whatever... that's not the point. I was just trying to say there are some pretty good PC laptops out there too. I never had a Alienware I just assumed... Lenovo then! Afterall they all come from China anyway. Again, I never said Alienware didn't come from China. So why are you assuming that?

Quote:

If you would have ever really worked in UNIX, you would know that it is a PAIN IN THE ASS to work with. It has security flaws up the wazoo just like, pretty much, any other operating system. Security is a service in UNIX, just like in Windows NT based system.

The only difference is that Windows NT, unlike Unix, was built to be a desktop PC OS from the very beginning and refined over many generations. UNIX was not, essentially, until the OSX. Try weilding Solaris or IRIX... the system command shell is your best bet if you want things done.

Apple has found out the hard way just how difficult it is to make UNIX user friendly. They're on the 4th iteration and there are still many rough edges.

I have worked in UNIX environment for more than 10 years! Again, I never said UNIX has the best interface. I said UNIX has the best core!!! And that's where everything else comes from. If you don't have a good core it doesn't matter how fluffy your interface is. About security flaws... really? Do you really want to talk about UNIX security flaws compared to Windows? What a joke...

The difference between UNIX and Windows NT is that NT was built to win market share while UNIX was built to be a real OS. Eventhough UNIX never had a nice graphical interface because of course it was never needed. Apple did a pretty good job building OSX on top of it. Sure there're still issues... but comparing to Windows... Windows is an issue by itself

Quote:

I'd spend the next ten years improving your computer knowledge so you don't disinform people.

Before you do that... you should learn how to read first. After that maybe you should try installing any UNIX flavor and learn something from it. Might be hard not to have a "Start" menu but you'll figure a way (try 'man')...