Can't Rotate Type In Pages

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just started using Apple's Pages...and somewhat like it. However, I can't seem to rotate the type to a vertical position. There are a couple of templets for newsletters and such that have a vertical element, but when I copy and paste, that attribute goes away and the type reverts to a horizontal position. I have searched this program up and down (and have searched Pages Help) and can't seem to be able to rotate the type. Any suggestions? Thanks

Mac OS X 10.4.8

1.25 GHz PowerPC G4

Pages v1.0.2

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Select the type object, in the Inspector palette choose Metrics (the little ruler icon). Rotation is at the bottom.

But I checked this in Pages 2... not sure about Pages 1.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks jabohn but that didn't work in my version. Must be something they fixed. Rotation at the bottom of Metrics only works with objects. I can't get it to activate with text only.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I inserted an object, a box...then I typed inside the box...Rotated the box, and changed the fill to white and eliminated the stroke. That worked, but what a pain in the ass.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by youcanhaveyourpc

I inserted an object, a box...then I typed inside the box...Rotated the box, and changed the fill to white and eliminated the stroke. That worked, but what a pain in the ass.

While I have complained about Pages in the past, I don't think this part is so bad. I think it really does need to be done that way. While I don't have much experience with other programs, I think the Pages way is generally easier to manage and learn than with pro-level programs that can do similar. I do agree that the Pages hyphenation scheme is bad.