Uploading DVD videos onto video iPOD?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi there,

I've not been able to work this one out. I'm using an 80GB iPOD for most of my travelling. It's primary computer is a Windows PC and I second-synch it to my Mac without any problems.

At least where music is concerned.

I can hold DVDs in the Macbook under >>VIDEOS under >> DOCUMENTS and above >> MUSIC and >> PICTURES in the index tray. But when I open iTunes, I can't see any of the files that I have on the computer under >> VIDEO. Why is this?

How do I transfer or upload the DVDs stored in my computer on to my iPOD?

There is one option which offers me the option of wiping out every piece of music I have on the iPOD but still can't recognise any DVDs stored in the >>VIDEOS section.

Bit confused with this ..... any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Make sure you encode it in a format that the iPod can play, and then drag it into iTunes. Once it's in iTunes, it will synch to the iPod.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Thanks Russell,

I'm using Mac the Ripper to save it in the same format. I presume iPod supports the standard DVD formats?

It's mystifying - why does the DVD not even appear in the >>VIDEO menu?

What format are you saving in?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    iPod/iTunes cannot just play DVDs without re-encoding. Mactheripper is the first step to get it on your hard drive. For the second step you can use the simple iSquint or the fancier Handbrake to then encode it properly. It will take a long time, but once it's in the right format, drop it in iTunes and it will work.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

For the second step you can use the simple iSquint ...

Ho ho....

>>Can't make «class ctnr» of file (file "_________") of application "Finder" into type Unicode text. (-1700)

?

What does all this mean? It's like a foreign language to me?

(This iPod isn't as easy as I thought!)
  • Reply 5 of 18
    here is a tutorial someone posted on how to decode and encode dvds to play on mp4 players.

it says zune, but you don't have to change any settings, it will already work for ipod too.

hope it helps, that is how I get my dvds onto my mp3 player.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justin

Ho ho....

>>Can't make «class ctnr» of file (file "_________") of application "Finder" into type Unicode text. (-1700)

?

What does all this mean? It's like a foreign language to me?

(This iPod isn't as easy as I thought!)

(Ho ho?)

Oops, I guess iSquint doesn't do DVDs. Handbrake definitely works with DVDs, as does ffmpegx. Both free.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Somebody said you can check you are about to rip the right video file from the dvd by viewing it in windows media play first, yet my wmp (which I have only used for audio up until now) says it does not provide a dvd decoder and I need to purchase one, hence I can't even play a dvd on my desktop. Does this mean I have to go to the store and buy some piece of software to allow me to "decode" (i.e. turn my desktop into a dvd player) for the purposes of using this tutorial to rip video files to my ipod, or can I download a free legal dvd decoder (compatible with wma) from the net?

PS

I'm new to this stuff, it may show!
  • Reply 8 of 18
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justin

I'm using an 80GB iPOD...

Small i, capital P (that much you got right), small o, small d... iPod. Not iPOD.

While we're at it, that computer Apple makes? It's a Mac, not a MAC.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calicomoonchild

Somebody said you can check you are about to rip the right video file from the dvd by viewing it in windows media play first, yet my wmp (which I have only used for audio up until now) says it does not provide a dvd decoder and I need to purchase one, hence I can't even play a dvd on my desktop. Does this mean I have to go to the store and buy some piece of software to allow me to "decode" (i.e. turn my desktop into a dvd player) for the purposes of using this tutorial to rip video files to my ipod, or can I download a free legal dvd decoder (compatible with wma) from the net?

PS

I'm new to this stuff, it may show!

In the tutorial I showed you ( 3rd of 4th down ) the guy says you can check it in wmp but it isn't required. Just use dvd decrypter and look for the largest file ( in length )

for example, Finding Nemo was 1 : 40 : 00. It also had a few that were 0: 20 : 00 and 0: 00: 30 which were probably bonus features and such. Just make sure you select the largest file. if two have the same length and they are the largest, it is probably fullscreen, or widescreen. Select the first one just to be safe.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Hi there,

thanks everyone - I'd given up only to check this thread for any updates.

Seems like I've learnt something useful - it's an iPod and a Mac, and not an iPOD and a big MAC

Thanks everyone for trying to instruct me - still haven't gotten any DVDs on the iPOD. Would like to do

so before I go travelling. Weather in winter isn't going to let that happen so I'll read the tutorial soon. Just

a shame it's so much effort to get it on an iPod...
  • Reply 11 of 18
    I note both "iSquint" & "Handbrake" make reference to only Mac compatibility, is there an easy way to convert dvd to a video iPod via a windows desktop?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

I note both "iSquint" & "Handbrake" make reference to only Mac compatibility, is there an easy way to convert dvd to a video iPod via a windows desktop?

yeah my way with dvddecrypter and super. ( uh oh did I just admit to using a pc... )

• Reply 13 of 18
    What is wrong with a PC?

My whole life I have been exposed to mainstream culture and I don't (nor does anyone I know) have a clue what the point of a Mac is . . .

I thought it's sole purpose was to be the intimidating "off" machine gathering dust in the corner of library and college computer rooms everywhere. That people intermittantly bend down at open mouthed and poke, whilst turning their head's to the side, as a means to kill time whilst waiting for one (from a sea) of PC's to become available???
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

What is wrong with a PC?

My whole life I have been exposed to mainstream culture and I don't (nor does anyone I know) have a clue what the point of a Mac is . . .

I thought it's sole purpose was to be the intimidating "off" machine gathering dust in the corner of library and college computer rooms everywhere. That people intermittantly bend down at open mouthed and poke, whilst turning their head's to the side, as a means to kill time whilst waiting for one (from a sea) of PC's to become available???

dude macs are awesome.... they are much easier to use and have better software. Only think PCs have going for it is Media Center ( I have a 360 ) and Outlook/business monopoly.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Spam removed
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Spam removed
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Thanks to both of you!
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Hey Luke -

thanks for the hint.

I'm a bit averse to paying for software (!)

Someone who understands what it's like to be brainless with technology, but keen to get DVDs onto an iPOd must be able to produce a free domain software for iPod users

Justin