New MacBook Pro and Leopard Upgrade (free?)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am considering an upgrade from my 1 gig Tibook.....quick question......

What has been Apple's policy in the past regarding recent computer purchases and new OS upgrades?

I notice most PCs are advertising a "Free upgrade to Visa" on them (suckers!!!) Does Apple do this for purchases within a month of the new OS release?

Thanks

Greg

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Apple will announce their Leopard upgrade policy when they officially announce Leopard's ship date (possibly Jan '07 at MSWF, but who knows, it may be still just a preview).

In the past, if you bought a Mac with an older OS version on or after the day the new OS shipped, you got the new OS for free (plus a small s&h charge). It's possible if you bought a week before the Leopard ship date, you could convince 'em for a free upgrade, but.... 'dunno.

In short: don't expect to get a free Leopard upgrade if you want to buy a Mac in the next couple of months.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    A similar follow-up question...

I bought an iBook 18 months back, with 10.3

then I bought an iMac some months later with 10.4

Ended up having to buy 10.4 in order to upgrade the iBook to be able to sync with the iMac.

I assume I'll have to do the same, when I buy a new MBP, but before I do, what are the chances Leopard will run well on a 20" iMac G5 2.0ghz?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I think it's 30 days. I really don't think Leopard is going to be released in 30 days though. The current claimed timetable is 1H07, I think 2Q07. They may move it forward but that's just speculation
  • Reply 4 of 8
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cardiacdave

A similar follow-up question...

I assume I'll have to do the same, when I buy a new MBP, but before I do, what are the chances Leopard will run well on a 20" iMac G5 2.0ghz?

probably very good chance. iMac G5 is a powerful machine. I really doubt Apple is going to nut kick all its PowerPC customers next year...I'd expect that in 2008.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Leopard runs on a G3 400mhz imac no problem. It'll run just fine on a G5
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Our Company got new iMacs at the start of this year. They were supposed to arrive before Xmas05 but no they arrived the 5th of Jan I think, Before Tiger was released. We were able to claim the free upgrade to Tiger. Our IT chap took care of it, maybe it was due to being a corporate customer rather than a consumer.

Best of luck with the purchase. But If I was you I would wait till after MWSF if I was to buy new hard/Soft-ware.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

probably very good chance. iMac G5 is a powerful machine. I really doubt Apple is going to nut kick all its PowerPC customers next year...I'd expect that in 2008.

Actually, I think even 2008 is too early to not support PowerPC. I would think it would be more like 2010.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Yeah Leonard's right 2010 makes more sense. It'd be crazy to tell all the people that bought quad g5s that their machine is a pos. For all we know it might never happen, what might happen is it just might reach a time where they're not strong enough before apple claims them as unsupported.