Whatcha Reading Now?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    Hello ozthebum. Welcome.

So today my novels class finished One Flew Overs the Cuckoo's Nest. I loved the ending. I really want to read the book now, and watch the movie again. Since I skipped school yesterday I missed the middle of the movie. The ending was still great though.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    Paradise Lost, anyone?
  • Reply 23 of 65
    Something Happened by Joseph Heller

(great book. i love heller's dark wit and humor)
  • Reply 24 of 65
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman

I'm reading "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. Heard a review of it on NPR and it sounded intriguing. Well I'm about a quarter of the way through it and I'm getting a little bored with it. I had expected it to be a little more scarier and suspenseful.

Put it down now. It doesn't get any better. I read that a couple of summers ago, and it's a terrible novel.

What I'm reading now:

Pater, The Renaissance

Wilde, A Picture of Dorian Grey

Gaiman, Anansi Boys

Desai, An Inheritance of Loss

Johnson, The Ghost Map

And a few others.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton

I'd choose Vonnegut over Conrad

I agree. Conrad's too, too dense for HS reading. And Heart of Darkness, as opposed to something like Nostromo, is a disturbing choice.

Quote:

but Player Piano over Slaughterhouse Five. Especially in today's digital age. Believe it or not I read Player Piano in my AP Computer Science class in high school (visionary teacher).

I disagree. Slaughterhouse Five is essential reading in high school. But I'd choose something like Deadeye Dick.

And if I might make a not-so-humble English Professor suggestion about a "critique": there is nothing more demoralizing than reading an essay where some kid bitches about how Shakespeare is boring and stupid and took too long to get to the point. Ditto everything on your list, I imagine. And why any teacher would ask a high school student to critique the writing style of a pseudo-classic novel is beyond me. High school kids have, by and large, read about 4 books, and all of them under duress.

So. With that said, instead of attacking the book, you might consider writing about why that book is still read.

Cheers
  • Reply 27 of 65
    Homeward Bound: American Families in the Cold War Era by Elaine Tyler May

Makes me not want to get married...
  • Reply 28 of 65
    America and Americans. John Steinbeck
  • Reply 29 of 65
    iWoz: Computer Geek to Cult Icon
  • Reply 30 of 65
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Tort Law and Alternatives: Cases and Materials Marc A. Franklin, Robert L. Rabin. Michael D. Green.

Good thing is that after 11:30 tomorrow I dont have to look at that book until early January.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    Anyone tried the Baen Free Library? Seems like a good chance to try out a Sci-Fi series. They also have some one shot and short story books too.

What I'll do is print out 40 or so pages of the downloaded Word doc and carry them with me on my commute. I've done it before with Accelerando. This just saves me from carrying a book around with me on the commute.

The book I'm reading now (The Historian) is so boring that I'll need to have something that has a little more pace and excitement to it...
  • Reply 32 of 65
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_Doll

iWoz: Computer Geek to Cult Icon

I really need to pick this one up sometime soon, how is it?
  • Reply 33 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman

The book I'm reading now (The Historian) is so boring that I'll need to have something that has a little more pace and excitement to it...

Have you gotten to the 200 page long letter the grandfather leaves when he only has a few moments to leave a note?
  • Reply 34 of 65
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    The Invention of Solitude, Auster

Life of Pi, Martel

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, Eggers.

I'm kind of busy with these three right now.. Auster being my favorite, and Martel a close second. Eggers is not bad either.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    groverat ...

I can't help but wonder WHERE you teach in Houston, as I (and my kids) live in HISD.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    O'Brian's Master and Commander

...taking a break after Victor Davis Hansen's A War like No Other (pretty good), Robert Spencer's The Truth About Mohammed (again, pretty good), and Mary Habeck's Knowing the Enemy (very, very good).

I highly recommend Knowing the Enemy, it cuts through the 'evildoers' nonsense, and shows a concise framework that the Jihadis are working within. Many "A-ha!" moments.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz

O'Brian's Master and Commander

I read that last Xmas. It's fantastic!
  • Reply 38 of 65
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter

I read that last Xmas. It's fantastic!

I don't read many novels -- but O'Brain seems to be great with his voices, and very keen with his dialogues.

(That could be inexperience talking, though.)
  • Reply 39 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter

Have you gotten to the 200 page long letter the grandfather leaves when he only has a few moments to leave a note?

Yes. I just didn't get too excited about it. It kind of plays out like a PBS Mystery Theater series. Kind of droll. I liked all the locations and their histories. But the suspense isn't there. I'm up to the part in Bulgaria and that has been interesting. Still a little slow for me. I'll finish it though (yet I have a feeling how it will end). \
  • Reply 40 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz

I don't read many novels -- but O'Brain seems to be great with his voices, and very keen with his dialogues.

(That could be inexperience talking, though.)

O'Brien's gift is his encyclopedic knowledge of the English Navy during the Napoleonic wars. Man. You've inspired me. I'm going to pick up the second in the series after I teach tonight.