Macbook vs Pro: Portability Advice

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi there,

I am a PC-going-Mac user and could really use some advice from all of you macbook owners! I have searched google, read/search forums, and talked to PC-notebook friends for advice. But no place have I found first-hand experience answers.

I am a student (becoming graduate studies student) and plan to be taking the macbook with me almost everywhere I go. There is a good chance I wouldn't have a special laptop bag unless I end up purchasing one. I will either use my messenger bag or buy a backpack.

I am leaning towards the Macbook Pro 15" because in my studies the dedicated graphics will come in handy. However, if the macbook is large enough to discourage me from taking it to University each day, then I may as well get the smaller Macbook (and use campus or my home desktop (PC) to do the 3D work as it arises).

So to all of the 15" macbook Pro users out there....
  1. At the end of each day, how heavy does your macbook feel?

2. Did you have to buy a special bag (I have textbooks too)?

3. Would the 2" 0.4lbs lighten my world all that much?

4. Is the adapter for the Pro much heavier/bulker than the non-Pro?

I appreciate any advice. I really can't wait to get ahold of OS X and begin some development work!

(this decision would be made if there was a 12" 4lbs offering :P)

Thank you so much,

Michael

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by subakt

So to all of the 15" macbook Pro users out there....
    1. At the end of each day, how heavy does your macbook feel?

2. Did you have to buy a special bag (I have textbooks too)?

3. Would the 2" 0.4lbs lighten my world all that much?

4. Is the adapter for the Pro much heavier/bulker than the non-Pro?

First I'm not a student anymore, so consider that with my responses. Hope they're helpful.

1. It's not heavy for me, but then I was carrying 40 lbs of books in my backpack since high school all the way until I graduated college.

2. Yes. Booq Folee, but this was more an investment in protecting the MBP. I still carry a regular backpack around for all my work stuff.

3. I would say not so much. Again... MB and MBP are pretty identical in weight thanks to the aluminum enclosure of the MBP, despite the bigger size. If you're down between the MB and MBP and would like the power of MBP, go with MBP.

4. I can't say since I don't own the regular MB, but I think they use the same power bricks.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    1. It's not bad at all. I lug my MBP around all the time. Isn't a burden unless I have a lot of hardbound text books and binders in my backpack. Nevertheless, it won't kill you.

2. I bought the Swiss MAXXUM backpack on Apple. It's around 80 bucks, but the thing is sweet. There's a lot of compartments in it, plus it can hold all my books. Plus, I don't feel like a woman carrying a purse/carry case with the shoulder strap.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....8.25.7.11.0.3

3. Not unless you're a midget or a really weak person.

4. They use the same power adapter.

Hope it helps..
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kfdankfdan Posts: 81member
    I've got the 17"C2D and bought a STM bag (slim design) to carry the laptop. No problems! I'd check out the Swiss Army wenger bag. They seem to have lots of room for student's books etc.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Hmmm, the gravitational pull in my area of the world must be stronger than elsewhere. I even found carrying the 12" ibook regularly to be quite a bother. But you only have the choice between 13" and 15" now. The case on the MBP doesn't scratch as easily but it may dent if you're not careful. In all honesty, if I were a student again, I'd probably go for the MB simply because I wouldn't be afraid to knock it about. If Apple made a 12" or 13" MBP then that would be the better choice.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    1. On paper there shouldn't be much difference between the MB and the MBP because the majority of their components are the same. Regardless of the material used in the construction of the enclosure, both families employ the same processor, motherboard, battery, hard disk, optical drives etc.

2. I use Crumpler laptop bags because they are designed specifically for the Apple laptops. They have a good tight fit and plenty of padding in all the right places.

3. In the real world, both families are still heavy, and you definitely feel the difference between the MB and the MBP at the end of the day.

4. The adapters are identical.

From a reliability in the field point of view, the MB is a lot tougher than the MBP simply because there is less to go wrong. A MB is simply a MBP stipped back down to the basics. The bullet proof polymer enclosure is far tougher than the MBPs pretty aluminium enclosure. I've always found the aluminium enclosures to be far too easy to scratch dent, but the MB's enclosure is 'child proof'.

I've owned more Macs than you average bear, and the MacBook is by far, my favourite to date.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Uhh... guys, the power adapter is not identical at all... I'd say the Pro's is about 50% bigger.

Non-pro is 65W pro is 85W.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    smax beat me to it, but he's right.

the pro's power adapter is larger & it's 85W as opposed to the MB's 65W.

from what i understand, you can use them interchangeably...don't quote me on that though.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RexTraverse

3. I would say not so much. Again... MB and MBP are pretty identical in weight thanks to the aluminum enclosure of the MBP, despite the bigger size. If you're down between the MB and MBP and would like the power of MBP, go with MBP.

The main reason I would choose the MBP is the graphics card. I don't plan to game, but it would make work during my studies less dependent on using other machines. Also, during lectures/presentations involving 3D work I could use the MBP instead of the local desktop to present. That always makes life easier.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

1. It's not bad at all. I lug my MBP around all the time. Isn't a burden unless I have a lot of hardbound text books and binders in my backpack. Nevertheless, it won't kill you.

I think I would be using a messenger (shoulder strap) type bag, which is why I think it may feel heavier. However, others are right and 0.4lbs isn't going to make life that much easier.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

3. Not unless you're a midget or a really weak person.

haha

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

In all honesty, if I were a student again, I'd probably go for the MB simply because I wouldn't be afraid to knock it about. If Apple made a 12" or 13" MBP then that would be the better choice.

You are exactly right. If there was a more mobile laptop I would throw graphics aside and love the little guy I could carry around. It's just when they are so close in weight (although not size) it makes the decision harder.

I know half the technology that I buy, I look back on and think "I really didn't need that Ultra/Pro/ model" and this could be one of those cases costing me a difference of ~$700CAD

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah

1. On paper there shouldn't be much difference between the MB and the MBP because the majority of their components are the same. Regardless of the material used in the construction of the enclosure, both families employ the same processor, motherboard, battery, hard disk, optical drives etc.

You are correct sir This is why I keep looking at the MB over the Pro. The small amount of processing doesn't matter to me and I can up the RAM/HDD to the Pro and still be saving money. I get a smaller system and more HDD. All be-it a smaller display and resolution but that goes with the size.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah

2. I use Crumpler laptop bags because they are designed specifically for the Apple laptops. They have a good tight fit and plenty of padding in all the right places.

I was looking at these and they do look very nice! I may have to look more seriously as a new case choice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax

Uhh... guys, the power adapter is not identical at all... I'd say the Pro's is about 50% bigger.

Non-pro is 65W pro is 85W.

Great! I was looking for this. I knew they were different in output but physical size I wasn't sure. Power supplies are always bricks and just add to the overall weight I need to carry around.

To me, it seems like the owner of each MB/MBP is fine with theirs. You learn to adapt, pick a decent bag to carry it in and move on with life. In that case I feel like I should be taking the MBP. But I know I would be envying those with the MB and in the back of my mind thinking I could be doing fine with it.

Thanks for all the first hand information so far! This is great help and I think it will be to others searching for similar information.

Michael
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Ultimately, I chose to go with a MB over a MBP just because I realized that the few extras the MBP has...I don't really need. I needed a workhorse for college, and the MB delivers.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I have a MB and MBP. The MB adapter is 65w, the MBP adapter is 85w and a good bit larger. The MB adapter will power the MBP but will not charge it, at least not at a realistic rate. Before they came out with the airline adapter, you had to use the MB adapter to power the MBP on planes, because most airlines cap it at 75w.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by valiumwaltz

Ultimately, I chose to go with a MB over a MBP just because I realized that the few extras the MBP has...I don't really need. I needed a workhorse for college, and the MB delivers.

Yea, this is how I feel in many ways. At this point in my life, I need a system that lets me do work on the go and it's just a question of how far I want the "luxury" features to take me... and whether I would rather save the extra cash for other life things (or a bag and later on a Leopard upgrade).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpennington

I have a MB and MBP. The MB adapter is 65w, the MBP adapter is 85w and a good bit larger. The MB adapter will power the MBP but will not charge it, at least not at a realistic rate. Before they came out with the airline adapter, you had to use the MB adapter to power the MBP on planes, because most airlines cap it at 75w.

Thanks for that info! Can I ask whether you find it much different carrying the MBP around instead of the MB? It seems few people actually own both.

Once again, thank you guys. I am really surprised at the community of AppleInsider!

Michael