Photoshop Crossgrade Win -> Mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does Adobe offer a "crossgrade" for moving from a Windows version of Photoshop to a Mac version?

I've seen a few things posted around the web about it, including this thread on AppleInsider. Adobe's web site say nothing about it, however.

Has anyone here ever actually done it?

I'm 90% certain that I'll be switching to a Mac as my primary computer in December, so I'm starting to do the final leg work to ensure thay my "switch" is smooth. One area that's an issue (and one I know that most people bring up) is the investment in existing software. A crossgrade would make it a much less painful experience.

I'd hate to have to fire up Parallels every time I want to do a few minutes of work with Photoshop...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I understand that you have to call Adobe to find out about a cross-grade.

As for Parallels and bootcamp, if you can wait until April, or whenever they release the Universal CS3, then it won't be a problem.

I have read that Photoshop under Rosetta on a Mac Pro with 2 GB RAM is pretty good, if you need to do the cross-grade now.

Cheers.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee

I understand that you have to call Adobe to find out about a cross-grade.

That's what I figured.

Quote:

As for Parallels and bootcamp, if you can wait until April, or whenever they release the Universal CS3, then it won't be a problem.

I have other Windows-only apps I need to run, so I'll need one of those anyway. The more I can run native, however, the better.

Quote:

I have read that Photoshop under Rosetta on a Mac Pro with 2 GB RAM is pretty good, if you need to do the cross-grade now.

I can't wait, unfortunately. I did see Photoshop running on a 2.66Ghz Mac Pro with 1GB of RAM in the local Apple store, and it seemed at least as fast as my 3.0Ghz P4 Dell. It may not be as fast as it could be, but it seems acceptable to me.

Thanks for the response!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    You can cross-grade, I've done it recently. You call Adobe directly and it costs about $5 for shipping the Mac formated media. They email you a form to fill out and either scan and email, fax, or mail back saying that you will destroy the Win version upon acceptance of the Mac version. From the phone call to reception of the package (complete Mac full version retail) was about 5 business days. Granted I scanned the form and emailed it as a PDF to shave some time, but it was a great service non the less.

I'm running PS CS2 on a 2.33 iMac with 2GB of RAM and through Rosetta it's not bad. It thinks for a bit here and there when asking it to do things, namely open new files, but otherwise it's pretty usable. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    What is going on with CS2.3?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit

What is going on with CS2.3?

The only thing I can figure out is that Adobe must have thought that there was a demand from the PC side of their business for a suite of Macromedia/Adobe products. Other than a universal version of the new Acrobat, I don't see what the Apple side of things would get out of 2.3.

But maybe I'm missing something.