Digg founder spills beans on Apple iPhone?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
In the latest episode of his weekly podcast, Digg founder Kevin Rose claims some knowledge of Apple Computer's initial iPhone product.

According to Rose, the extremely compact device will work with both CDMA and GSM networks, making it compatible with all of the most popular wireless carriers, such as Verizon, Sprint, Cingular and T-Mobile.

Apple is also doing "some unique things" with the device, he said, like building in two separate batteries -- one for the music player portion and the other for the actual phone.

Rose, who has provided accurate information on Apple products in the past, added that Apple is likely to introduce two models of the phone: a $249 4GB model and a $449 8GB model.

It should be noted that his past predictions on Apple products have come within hours, not months, of the formal introduction for those products.

Still, Rose appeared high in his convictions, even adding that a touch-screen may also be in the cards for the face of the device.

A copy of this week's Diggnation podcast is available here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 134
    first comment!

My 60GB 4th gen photo just broke (the harddrive died I think, It keeps saying its corrupt, anyone else have this problem?). I'm going to wait until the 8GB iphone comes out to replace it.

EDIT---

I think the post above has a mistake

"Rose, who has provided accurate information on Apple products in the past, added that Apple is likely to introduce two models of the phone: a $249 4GB model and a $449 4GB model."

it's $449 for the 8GB model. (according to macrumors.com)
  • Reply 2 of 134
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I really can't support Apple in this. The cellphone is just a rude, rude invention. No amount of Apple polish can overcome the crassness of carrying a telephone around in your pocket.
  • Reply 3 of 134
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii

I really can't support Apple in this. The cellphone is just a rude, rude invention. No amount of Apple polish can overcome the crassness of carrying a telephone around in your pocket.

You're right, I'd much rather be tethered to a cord.
  • Reply 4 of 134
    bearbear Posts: 27member
    Quote:

The crassness is not carrying it. It's how many people use them that is the problem.

The real problems are:
    • the loud obnoxious (and settable) ringers

• people who have to yell into them (whether or not it's necessary)

• the push-to-talk walkie talkie mode where eveyone has to hear both sides of the conversation

• people who don't turn off phones or forget to set them to vibrate only in theaters

• people answering calls in theaters and such instead of moving out into the lobby

I would say the prblem isn't the cell phoneitself. It more a lack of manners. Society has gotten more rude in a lot of ways, but that's a different rant.
  • Reply 5 of 134
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    edit: I read as "not going to happen" instead of "shouldn't happen". My bad.

For $200 more I expect the 8GB model to be larger with a QWERTY keyboard.
  • Reply 6 of 134
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Yeah, all the beer guzzling gives me the confidence I need to bet my money on this rumor. Of course, there isn't anything new except for the dual battery thing. Whoop-de-doo! That's gotta be worth the extra bucks!

It's easy to guess that Apple will have a flash-based, nano-like phone that'll combine the best qualities of the iPod with the capabilities of a modern cell phone. How does Apple differentiate itself from other tune-playing phones? By offering choice of carrier and freedom to make use of all the modern technologies without restrictions imposed by carriers.
  • Reply 7 of 134
    I don't know... this one has been a rumor so long that beer + rumor-mongering + too-good-to-be-true doesn't leave me with much confidence.
  • Reply 8 of 134
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bear

I would say the prblem isn't the cell phoneitself. It more a lack of manners. Society has gotten more rude in a lot of ways, but that's a different rant.

Maybe the iPhone could come with a little card of cellphone etiquette?
  • Reply 9 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo

Yeah, all the beer guzzling gives me the confidence I need to bet my money on this rumor. Of course, there isn't anything new except for the dual battery thing. Whoop-de-doo! That's gotta be worth the extra bucks!

Actually, if the set-up is such that the phone can drain the player's battery, but not vice-versa, it kills the #1 complaint with media-phones, which is that listening to music for more than a few hours kills battery life.
  • Reply 10 of 134
    bearbear Posts: 27member
    Quote:

Maybe the iPhone could come with a little card of cellphone etiquette?

Actually all cell phones should include such a card. The sad thing is that it's needed.
  • Reply 11 of 134
    Quote:

Ya know, I agree. And, people should value themselves more than to be tied to a universal, unseen umbilical cord.

And I know I'm gonna get fired on for this one but.. only a true lacky carries a cell phone - be honest with yourself!

...but, like dear 'ol Dad used to say "if they want blue, sell 'em blue" - Go Apple!
  • Reply 12 of 134
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

I have to be honest, I'm much more offended by the rudeness of some people using iPods that what I usually see with mobile phones. People walking, running, biking, even driving with their earbuds in, blissfully ignorant of their surroundings, and sometimes with their music so loud that we get to hear it too. Quite rude of them to hand off their responsibilities of minding their own safety to more responsible people.

On a phone, you're at least likely to be doing something semi-productive, have a free ear to listen to your surroundings, and can easily stop talking if the situation warrants it.

Great news though, with the iPhone they'll be able to offend you and me both with one device.
  • Reply 13 of 134
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Actually, if the set-up is such that the phone can drain the player's battery, but not vice-versa, it kills the #1 complaint with media-phones, which is that listening to music for more than a few hours kills battery life.

I was being facetious but yeah, the dual battery idea is a good one. Use the iPod function all day with no worries about the cell part not working. If the thing is smaller than sh*t, maybe the two batteries are different sizes or it's one battery with two segments that can be individually discharged.

I'd really like to see Apple shake up the cell phone biz.
  • Reply 14 of 134
    I actually stopped to listen this crappy podcast. I mean news what they provide is fine. but their manner to run show is not ready for public. why do they drink beers in the middle of show? then they are sober, drunken. they say word 'fukc, dude' many times. it's not word to say on show which many people listen. about 1 hour or less show, they talk about crap. IT news is maybe 20%. what a lame crappy show! I like kevin. but please, think before the show. you know, brain is not decoration.
  • Reply 15 of 134
    Kevin only has deets on the hardware...not that interesting other than the dual battery thing.

The real juicy stuff is going to be done in software.

Verizon, Cingular and Sprint aren't software companies thats why their phones are all mucked up.

Apple is a software company and this phone will have an amazing OS/user experience.
  • Reply 16 of 134
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots

Ya know, I agree. And, people should value themselves more than to be tied to a universal, unseen umbilical cord.

And I know I'm gonna get fired on for this one but.. only a true lacky carries a cell phone - be honest with yourself!

...but, like dear 'ol Dad used to say "if they want blue, sell 'em blue" - Go Apple!

I guess if you're unemployed you don't need one.
  • Reply 17 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

edit: I read as "not going to happen" instead of "shouldn't happen". My bad.

For $200 more I expect the 8GB model to be larger with a QWERTY keyboard.

Ugh, I don't want a keyboard on a pocket device. Whoever that of doing that on mobile devices was an idiot. Unless you absolutely need that functionality, I think it's a bad idea. keyboards should only go as small as the size of a tablet IMO.
  • Reply 18 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

Kevin only has deets on the hardware...not that interesting other than the dual battery thing.

The real juicy stuff is going to be done in software.

Verizon, Cingular and Sprint aren't software companies thats why their phones are all mucked up.

Apple is a software company and this phone will have an amazing OS/user experience.

AGREED. OSX mobile or stripped. A ferrari is a waste unless you know how to drive it
  • Reply 19 of 134
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Apple doing a cellphone? I'd be surprised. Apple doing an internet phone? More likely! Hence the name i(nternet)Mac, i(nternet)Phone.

And it's gonna integrate with their cutting edge desktop applications (iLife, iChat and Address book).

The cellphone is dead! Long live the iPhone!!
  • Reply 20 of 134
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    everyone is rude nowadays. it has nothing to do with cellphones.

what really bothers me is that even IF apple came out with something as high tech as the N95 in a package as small as the nano with a full screen and slide out qwerty, people would STILL complain.

omfg, i can't believe it doesnt have 802.11 n... omfg, only 3 megapixels?... omfg, no terabyte hard drive? omfg, only 24 hours of talk time? omfg i can't run photoshop on in? omfg, it can't teleport me from work to home to avoid traffic? lame.