Apple Acquires Proximity

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
http://www.proximitygroup.com

I've never heard of this company. After looking at its website seems they primarily developed software for Windows.

The software seems to primarily work with video asset management. They also have a video ripper that sounds basically like the functionality as Snapz Pro.

Is this software going to make up for the complaints about the poor media management in FCP, as well as improve media management across all of Final Cut Studio. Along with Silicon Graphics does this mean a huge revolutionary update for Final Cut Studio?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    After viewing the website some more this software could go in a couple of directions.

Its possible we will finally have a consumer video manager the equivalent of iPhoto in iLife 07.

Its also likely we will have an advanced management the equivalent of Aperture for video in FCS.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Interesting. I heard someone say Artbox is pretty spendy. Apple must be making a play for the higher end production houses.

Avid ...here Final Cut Pro comes.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ========================

Video Asset Management with Proximity Artbox - Proximity Artbox is a video asset manager:

-$20K setup

-for big shops

-client/server setup

-does low res proxies for your shots and clips

-what indies might this be viable for? Big production, well funded docs might want to use this to go through all of their shots in a hurry, but for most indies this is overkill

taken from hdforindies.com
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Shake was a multi-k$ app too before Apple bought it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    This is awesome. If Apple follows it's usual path this will lead to two apps, Pro and consumer. And I would welcome both for different needs. And if memory serves, it seems the stripped down consumer version comes out pretty quickly.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Its possible we will finally have a consumer video manager the equivalent of iPhoto in iLife 07.

I mostly agree but this is December and Macworld is just about a month away. Perhaps iLife 08
  • Reply 7 of 7
    This aquisition is not aimed at iLife.

Consumers have very little need for such a robust tool for asset managment.